How to find some same-minded people

Started by
35 comments, last by mystd 12 years, 7 months ago

I won't be able to complete my game without paying the artists? That's sad :( Thank you for helping me to understand the politics of the development :huh: Zeraan.

Unless you have some artist friends. However you can also find lots of royalty free content with Google. Have you tried that yet?
Advertisement

[quote name='Mafioso' timestamp='1314051545' post='4852547']
I won't be able to complete my game without paying the artists? That's sad :( Thank you for helping me to understand the politics of the development :huh: Zeraan.

Unless you have some artist friends. However you can also find lots of royalty free content with Google. Have you tried that yet?
[/quote]

What do you mean? downloading already made models and textures? I've tried looking for people in art forums, a couple have answered, but they wanted money... That's the only thing I can't give them.
Also promise Unlimited Something.
Claim no problems. Never.

[quote name='A Brain in a Vat' timestamp='1314049736' post='4852528']
Make sure you call it an MMO. Then start a "company" by doing nothing more than saying aloud "I have started a company," and name it "X Studios," where X is an amalgam of two different words that sound cool together.

Then you'll get lots of people wanting to join up.
Is this a joke?[/quote]Yes.

Previously "Krohm"

[quote name='dfighter' timestamp='1314051686' post='4852549']

[/quote]

What do you mean? downloading already made models and textures? I've tried looking for people in art forums, a couple have answered, but they wanted money... That's the only thing I can't give them.
[/quote]

If you look at sticky topics in the art forum on this website, you might find something like this: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/544073-free-2d3d-art-assets-09/ Free 2D and 3D artwork that you can download. Royalty-free means you can use it without paying the artist.

[quote name='Mafioso' timestamp='1314056190' post='4852575']
[quote name='dfighter' timestamp='1314051686' post='4852549']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you look at sticky topics in the art forum on this website, you might find something like this: http://www.gamedev.n...-art-assets-09/ Free 2D and 3D artwork that you can download. Royalty-free means you can use it without paying the artist.
[/quote]

Yes, I could try to use them, but I'm using 3D graphics in my game. if I'll get models with textures, I'll need to make animations for them, that also takes time and I won't progress with the coding. Anyway that would be much more easily way to make something more than animated 3D boxes. I'll think about it, but my game won't be going anywhere with only me as a developer putting random things from the net, so I think it would be better to stick with the boxes. Whatever I do, I'll need time for animating the models, since no one will help me. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll think about it.
But why do the programmers work for free on projects then? Why only the artists gets paid for just making a couple of models, when a programmer should know much more to code a game?

But why do the programmers work for free on projects then? Why only the artists gets paid for just making a couple of models, when a programmer should know much more to code a game?

If you are a great artist, it's because you've spent hours creating art; you know a lot about perspective, form, balance, colour theory; you know how to use many different tools be they pens, pencils, charcoal, paints, photoshop, maya, etc. What matters most is experience, and the drive to hone their talents.

There are lots of hack artists though, who can maybe draw only certain types of objects in one style - just as there are lots of hack programmers who can barely put together a tetris clone with code they stole from google.

The reality is, artists AND programmers both get paid. These jobs exist, and people do them - talented, driven, practiced experienced people who never stop perfecting their craft - that's why it's hard to find good ones for free.
@Mafioso & SteveDefacto if you guys need a 3rd one I'm in the same boat. I can't get ppl interested in my projects and alone I just don't want to do anything. I've absolutely no interest in making a game alone, for me making games is teamwork. Sure it's possible to make games alone but that's like playing alone or eating alone. It's no fun and you accomplish only little. Tried to get ppl interested in my custom world project because that would have fixed some of the having to find a team problem, but I either sux at presenting my projects or everyone really only wants to do thair own stuff.

That said I want to specialize in art, I'm pretty much a beginner but I need a goal to not play videogames all day. If anyone needs somebody to do the modeling etc. I'm willing to offer my time&dedication, even if it's only to model some basic stuff for an mmo. I do really hate mmos though but there are some I look forward to like firefall.

Also I see it like this: Even if the team splits apart and the game is not finished the time spent on coding & modeling is not wasted.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement