• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragonion

How much do you use your IDE?

This topic is 2648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Why would you not use an IDE? Are you chuck norris?

Chuck Norris doesn't even need to code; he simply creates a binary beam from his forehead connecting with the computer and makes whatever program he wants instantly appear on the hard-drive ;)

My IDE is Notepad,
for my java programs I create a batch file that compiles, jars, and signs my applet

javac SprCre.java
IF NOT EXIST SprCre.jar (
jar cvf SprCre.jar SprCre.class Sprites
) ELSE (
jar uf SprCre.jar SprCre.class Sprites
)
< response.txt keytool -genkey -keyalg rsa -alias YourSign
echo NotAPass| keytool -certreq -alias YourSign
echo NotAPass| jarsigner SprCre.jar YourSign
IF EXIST index.html echo Y | DEL index.html
echo ^<applet width=755 height=508 code="SprCre.class" archive="SprCre.jar"^> ^</applet^> >> index.html

I find an IDE tedious to use, especially Java ones(I tried using a few) where there are certain options you just cannot turn off. Some were so annoying I just went back to using Notepad.exe. I did like the format feature in Eclipse though, but is not needed unless looking at code that is not my own.

I do like Dev Bloodshed for doing C/C++, but I am mainly doing Java atm.

It's 2011.

- Continuous integration toolkit
- Issue tracker
- Source repository
- staging/testing server/machine
- Release/deployment hosting
- An IDE
- Office/productivity suite

The bare minimums, all of which are available for free as well

My IDE is Notepad,
for my java programs I create a batch file that compiles, jars, and signs my applet

javac SprCre.java
IF NOT EXIST SprCre.jar (
jar cvf SprCre.jar SprCre.class Sprites
) ELSE (
jar uf SprCre.jar SprCre.class Sprites
)
< response.txt keytool -genkey -keyalg rsa -alias YourSign
echo NotAPass| keytool -certreq -alias YourSign
echo NotAPass| jarsigner SprCre.jar YourSign
IF EXIST index.html echo Y | DEL index.html
echo ^<applet width=755 height=508 code="SprCre.class" archive="SprCre.jar"^> ^</applet^> >> index.html

I find an IDE tedious to use, especially Java ones(I tried using a few) where there are certain options you just cannot turn off. Some were so annoying I just went back to using Notepad.exe. I did like the format feature in Eclipse though, but is not needed unless looking at code that is not my own.

I do like Dev Bloodshed for doing C/C++, but I am mainly doing Java atm.

Eeep just plain old notepad? Not even Notepad++ (free download). I couldn't imagine going back to not using an IDE, I use RAD 7.5.5 at work all day and I use Visual Studio 2010 for game development at home.

Any programmer worth a damn works with a hex editor directly with the .exe :P

http://xkcd.com/378/

For me it really depends on what i'm doing, the bigger the project the more useful the IDE becomes, for writing short scripts or modifying existing ones a good but lightweight text editor is a much better tool (i prefer vim for editing files)

I will use vi in unix machines when I need to do c or c++ or perl there. Otherwise I'll use visual studio or netbeans (for java).

While I occasionally don't heed my own advice; programmers should use any tool available to them to create better things faster.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!