• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

C++ Formatting Strings

This topic is 2615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know there are the stringstream classes, which I can use to convert integers, floats, etc into strings, but this is not the same as the C formatting functions of C#'s string.Format method which work with variable number of arguments. Is there a C++ way for this, or should I just use _vsntprintf_s?

Advertisement
You could try boost::format, which allows you to write things like cout << format("%2% %1%") % 36 % 77;

The C++ string formatting facilities have many, many distinct advantages over the printf-style string formatting of C and similar. Type safety and speed are among the traits you do not find the printf-style facilities. Buffer overflows are something you miss with the C++ facilities.

The C++ string formatting facilities lack some of the brevity and succinctness of the printf-style facilities, but are in the long run more readable by others. the C++ facilities are useless and utterly to be avoided when it comes to internationalization. I can't believe the C++ standards committee did not fix this in C++2011.

I strongly recommend the boost format library for C++. It supports internationalization and has the type safety of the C++ facilities but the bass-ackward way of separating format from arguments that many prefer. It's slower than all the other choices, but most of the time when dealing with formatted strings, the I/O wait is orders of magnitude more expensive anyway.

It's very handy to write your own std::string strprintf(const char *fmt, ...); function. You can make it work by using the return code of snprintf to see how large a buffer you would need to allocate, after which you snprintf into that and then construct a std::string. Or you maybe you could save a copy if you have your own string type.

You should also annotate it with the appropriate attribute so that your compiler can check the argument types.

Edit: Actually, you'll want to use vsnprintf, obviously, and you'll have to use va_copy, and I don't know if that's supported by MS VC++. Oh well!

Hidden

I know there are the stringstream classes, which I can use to convert integers, floats, etc into strings, but this is not the same as the C formatting functions of C#'s string.Format method which work with variable number of arguments.

Don't forget that stringstreams can also be used to format strings, not necessarily to convert to and from types:

ostringstream ss;
ss << "Sample table\n"
<< string( 25, '-' )
<< setw( 12 ) << left << "Row: "
<< fixed << setprecision(2) << 12.345 << endl;
;
cout << ss.str() << endl;

Sample table
-------------------------
Row: 12.34

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!