Sign in to follow this  
Gasoline

Browser based game themes

Gasoline    115
I came up with a pretty good in-space text and browser based game but after a little googleing I found out there are TONS of these kind of games around. I guess this theme and the mafia/gang are one of the more popular themes for these kind of games.

I would like to hear your ideas on what could work for these games and what not, considering the limitations of running the game purely in browser. ASP.NET, SQL, JScript and so on, but no flash, silverlight and so on.

Caldtem    323
[quote name='Gasoline' timestamp='1313702182' post='4850941']
I came up with a pretty good in-space text and browser based game but after a little googleing I found out there are TONS of these kind of games around. I guess this theme and the mafia/gang are one of the more popular themes for these kind of games.

I would like to hear your ideas on what could work for these games and what not, considering the limitations of running the game purely in browser. ASP.NET, SQL, JScript and so on, but no flash, silverlight and so on.
[/quote]

Text and browser based... I am guessing there are a ton just because of the type of game, but something different... hmm.

Office....
Fantasy....
Medieval....
School....
Some sort of Sport...
A tournament type game...
An outer space settlement...
Work...
A place for fans of a specific IP...

Sorry, not really something I have ever tried to wrap my head around. I do not know what context it would be in.

jbadams    25712
Personally I don't think the restriction/requirement of having to run purely in a browser really favours or excludes any setting for your game; it certainly [i]does[/i] impact the type of game-play, but you should be pretty free to choose any theme or setting that is suitable for your game-play. Historical and/or fantasy games are also very common and popular for these type of games, as are certain sport sims and things like fantasy football leagues.

Some other ideas just off the top of my head that could work might be "Tycoon" style games, anything with marketing or trading related game-play, or simpler adventure/puzzle type games.

Things that probably [i]won't[/i] work so well are larger real-time games, anything with "twitch" game-play, and things requiring complex graphical displays.