• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Beginning Scripting

This topic is 2436 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to start learning about scripting. How and where it is used? But I don't know where to begin, maybe some of you can point me in the right directions. FYI, I know how to program games, and currently working on a 2D side scrolling game. On a side note can I use scripting in 2D games???
mellow.gif

Advertisement
You can use scripting everywhere, apart from really low level stuff. Personally, I got started with scripting when I noticed that I was doing a lot of repetitive tasks and wished for an easier way to do them. For example, I needed to create a spritesheet for my game with 64 different rotations of a sprite. Rather than manually rotating each frame, I installed Python and used PIL to do it for me.

You can use scripting everywhere, apart from really low level stuff. Personally, I got started with scripting when I noticed that I was doing a lot of repetitive tasks and wished for an easier way to do them. For example, I needed to create a spritesheet for my game with 64 different rotations of a sprite. Rather than manually rotating each frame, I installed Python and used PIL to do it for me.

Oh!! Could you tell me where I should start learning scripting

Scripting is just programming. Just pick a language and run through the docs for it. For example, Lua has the reference manual as a good place to start, and the first edition of Programming in Lua is available as well. For Python, you've got extensive docs including references, tutorials, how-tos, etc... AngelScript, too, has an online manual. Pretty much any halfway usable language is going to have documentation and reference that describes the syntax and basic usage of the language. After that, it's just a matter of practice.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement