Deploying C++ DirectX 9 games from XP to 7

Started by
12 comments, last by ryan20fun 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi

I used VC++ 2008 and DX9 to create a simple 2D game on WinXP, then, I used the "new project->setup project" to create a depolyment project for the game, a setup file resulted of this process that installed successfully on my winXP machine...

When installing it on Win7 machine this message appears:
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect, please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more details"

anyone can help me with this?

Thanks in advance..
Advertisement
One thing to try is installing the VS2008 C++ Redistributable on the Win7 machine; I remember fixing something similar that way a couple years ago.

If that works, you'll need to bundle that with your installer.
Thanks for the quick response : )

I saw that both 2005 and 2008 C++ Redist. versions are installed on the Win7 Machine so I think this is not the problem..

Thanks again...any other suggestion...I am googling but not being able to find anything to solve this..
what about the DX Redist ?
is the version your using installed ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

The Win7 machine is equipped with fully functional DirectX 11 (run-time library only)..

do you mean I must distribute the dx9 redistributable version?? this one http://www.freewarefiles.com/DirectX9.0c-Redistributable_program_516.html
it's 95 MB, that would be big for a game of 5 megabytes...

Thanks buddy..

The Win7 machine is equipped with fully functional DirectX 11 (run-time library only)..

do you mean I must distribute the dx9 redistributable version?? this one http://www.freewaref...rogram_516.html

Thanks buddy..

The Dx9 redistributable is actually 33mb. Still excessive for a 5mb game, but them's the breaks.
Windows 7 by default does not include the most up to date version of DirectX 9. You'll either need to build against a downlevel SDK or instruct your users to upgrade their DirectX.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

do you mean I must distribute the dx9 redistributable version?? this one http://www.freewaref...rogram_516.html

Thanks buddy..

depends, sometimes it is not needed.
one way it to bundle the webinstaller version with your app.
the other way is to:
copy the d3d redist folder that is in the dx sdk folder.
( optionally, dont know how good this would be on account of WOW64 ) delete the the x64 dlls if your app is only x86
delete the dlls your app dont need, XNA redist does this, a 'lite' version of the dx redist is installed.

that should work.
:) :) :)

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Hmmm that's so weird. Thanks.

I still think that setting up a 95 MB thing for a simple 2D game is just not appropriate, I miss the days of programming DOS games..

Thanks guys all of you for your efforts..

Hmmm that's so weird. Thanks.

I still think that setting up a 95 MB thing for a simple 2D game is just not appropriate, I miss the days of programming DOS games..

Thanks guys all of you for your efforts..

then get the web installer for DX, its about 300k.
they will obviusly require an internet connection though.

or you could look into OpenGL, as far as i know it does not require any redists, other then what should be installed with your graphics drivers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement