Sign in to follow this  
Gumm

2D Beginner

Hello Guys!

I am an absolute beginner, but I do have a lot of experience in IT, networking and a very small amount of programming (assembly). My request is this; I am looking for a tool to design and program a 2D computer game, perhaps to the standard of the old 16-bit games of yesteryear. I am interesting in programming, but not in advanced mathematics and physics etc. I am just interested in telling stories with some simple gameplay.

I had a look at Game Maker, but it didn't seem programmable enough. Any decent suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Gumm

I don't know, Game Maker DOES seem like a good solution for you.
It requires a little bit of programming, but it isn't very complicated, it's a good beginner's tool, and you can learn alot about programming by using it, you get to learn all the basics of programming, but as far as I know, you don't need to meddle with mathes and physics in programmatic code in it.

Now, while for physics you might be able to live your developing life without learning thoroughly, mathemetics are a very big part of programming in general, you won't really be able to avoid it if you want to make a game, even in even less programmable tools.

Still, seeing by your post, I would assume that you didn't actually try Game Maker, and only heard/read/saw/whatever it before, I say, you've got nothing to lose, just try getting in to it, worst case scenario, you'll come off with a little more knowledge than you came in with. And if that does prove too much in the end, you can always go to higher level tools, like RPG Maker.

P.S. I don't know much about this, but I hear that Stencyl is also a good tool, it uses AS3 to manage scripts, it might also be good for you.

I actually have used Game Maker, but it was scripty, not programmatic. I didn't like the application too much and was wondering whether there was anything else.

I am interested in the maths, as logic etc. I am just not interested in creating a physics engine, that's all! xD

If there are any other applications I'd love to hear about them.

If I was starting today, I would probably go with C#. Learn a bit of the language, then pick up XNA. You can use a library called Box2D.Net to do simple physics and most of the complex math. Pretty much all you need to know to get started [url="http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx#Csharp"]is right here.[/url]

That said, that is just my opinion. Python + pygame, or Java + Slick are equally valid decisions.

As you are dabbling and pure hobby only, if someone suggests C++, punch them in the face and kick 'em in the nuts.

[quote name='Gumm' timestamp='1313786548' post='4851371']
That's excellent thank you. Could I ask a question though?

Is C# part of .net? I heard that .net was dying, is that true?
[/quote]

That is not really an easy question to answer as .net is a marketing campaign as much as anything else. But yes and no, C# is a part of the .net "ecosystem", but is also a language specification that has been implemented on different platforms(Mac and Linux), on Xbox and in Silverlight ( Microsofts version of Flash ). If Microsoft were to go away tomorrow, C# would live on.

Now the easy part to answer is, .net is anything but dying. It is doing incredibly well and is being heavily invested in. About the only reason why I could see for saying something like that ( other than being the type of person that types things like M$ and Micro$uck ) is Microsoft saying they will support HTML5 + Javascript for WIndows 8 GUI programming, which frankly, is a load of marketing BS, along the lines of "activedesktop" and other flash in the pan technologies Microsoft bolt on top of their various os revisions.

Then again, people have been predicting the death of programming languages for as long as programming languages existed. Java was going to kill of C++, hell, a language called REXX was going to replace all programming languages entirely, at least according to IBM at the time.

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1313786419' post='4851370']
[color="#c0c0c0"]if someone suggests C++, punch them in the face and kick 'em in the nuts.[/color]
[/quote]

I would like to suggest C++, it's a very nice language [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

No, Serapth is right, if it's only hobby, C# will be much funnier to play around with