Sign in to follow this  
ekba89

writing data to texture

ekba89    788
I'm implementing particle system in gpu and now i want to save some of particle's data which can change into a texture. But the problem is i don't know how can i select correct pixel to write since rendering in pixel shader is not controlled by us. Any ideas how can i do this? Thanks.

Aqua Costa    3692
You can create a texture with size 5x1, so you can store 5 different colors (values). If you want to write a value to the first pixel set the viewport to (0,0), width = 1 and height = 1, if you want to replace the value in the second pixel set viewport to position (1,0) and so on.

ekba89    788
But i want to update texture when i update particle. I mean i'm updating particle in vertex shader and there are some of it's attributes that can change. So when in pixel shader i want to save them.

Aqua Costa    3692
What version of API are you using? And what kind of attributes (life time/position/velocity) do you want to store?

If you use DirectX 10, you can use Geometry shader stream-output to store particles attributes in vertex buffers... [url="http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10/direct3d/Source/rain/doc/RainSDKWhitePaper.pdf"]Like explained in this whitepaper[/url]. If you need some help ask for it :lol:

ekba89    788
I'm using directx 9. And what i want to save is how much a particle moved. Let me show you the code.

[code]
float3 position = inPos.xyz;

float3 positionDelta = (velocityAndAge.xyz * xTotalGameTime);

position += positionDelta;
[/code]

Here i'm finding positionDelta with total game time and i want to change it to float3 positionDelta = (velocityAndAge.xyz * elapsedTime); where elapsed time is time between two frames and want to save position delta to a texture. Also i'm open to new ways of doing this i mean i'm not sure if saving data like this possible. But as you mentioned if there is a way to store output to vertex buffer from shader for dx9 it is what i'm looking for i think. Thanks.