Sign in to follow this  
Alucard_Z

Requesting some direction

Alucard_Z    122
First of all thank you kindly for viewing this forum post.

Before I ask my questions I will give a quick summary on my background without making it too boring.

I'm an avid gamer who intended to get into the game industry but ended up a bit side tracked. I completed my university degree in CS in the mid 2000's and then ended up in Japan around the time the economy went in the crapper. After teaching there a year I came back home to Canada and landed a couple of jobs in software but they were not gaming related. One was a project management position and the other is was as a Java developer. I've just about had it writing the proverbial TPS report and need to get into games either as an indie or get picked up by someone.

[u]Applicable Skills[/u]: Java/C/C++
(My C++ is a bit rusty but it shouldn't be a problem)
(I've dabbled in DirectX and had some experience with OpenGL at school for my graphics course)

[u]Team[/u]- Currently just myself. A buddy of mine and myself are currently involved on a board game project together and he enjoys design but is no coder

[u]Type of game(s) I'm looking to make[/u]:

I'm going to maybe start off with some more basic games first but what I really want to make is a strategy rpg/turn based strategy game akin to disgaea, final fantasy tactics, front mission, etc and a civ style game somewhat like the old warlords series.

Part of my problem is that there are so many things I want to make. It's sometimes hard to stay focused on just one. It's like wanting to run before you can walk.

[u]So here is my dilemma:[/u]

1. Do I start tying to code my game from scratch in C++ using direct X? It seems like using an existing engine seems to be recommended. Not sure the best type of engine to use for the types of games I want to make. (yes if I do everything from scratch it will lengthen dev time significantly but is it worth it?)

2. Any tips on resources for a more polished looking product? I've seen some xna concept videos and while they aren't "bad" they are either using ripped off sprites or poorly hand drawn ones. Certainly nothing you could put on say the apple app store and hope to draw much attention.

3. To try and sell mobile/steam/etc or just demo material for game companies? These aren't mutually exclusive I guess but again I think maybe the cart is probably ahead of the horse.

4. Tips on keeping motivated? As a gamer it's easy to get sucked into playing games instead of making them. I've got so much of a backlog of stuff to play.

Tom Sloper    16062
Alucard, I can't answer all your questions.
[quote name='Alucard_Z' timestamp='1313803751' post='4851454']
1. Do I start tying to code my game from scratch in C++ using direct X?
2. Any tips on resources for a more polished looking product?
3. To try and sell mobile/steam/etc or just demo material for game companies?
4. Tips on keeping motivated?[/quote]

2. Pay an artist.
3. That's a business question. Ask it (ask it better, too) in the Business forum. Not here.
4. Music. Pets. Books. Have a life outside of the project.