File Sharing

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 8 months ago
Me and 2 other guys are beginning work on a game. We're currently using MS XNA however we also plan on developing a few games in another language. We're looking for something that we can use to share our game files with eachother (like MS Team Foundation Server) only for other languages besides .NET, which is why we're not going to set up a TFS. Does anyone know of any ways of doing this? Since we're working from different states we'd like to have something we can set up on our website (a private section of course). Running a LAMP site. I honestly don't even know what to search for on google to find this. If worse comes to worse we'd like to at least have something that we can just keep files uploaded to. I hope I've explained this well.
Advertisement
What you are looking for is a "source control server". There are quiet a few different versions out there. Just google it and learn all ya really need to know. Different people prefer different servers and clients, so it is best to look around try a few and see what best works for you.

Source control is more then just file sharing, it allows you to keep your source control the same between different developers and not risk the chance that the changes you just made get overwritten because someone copies over your source file. There are also tool to merge your code and branch your code if needed.
That's what it was I was looking for lol. Thanks a lot. Do you have any specifically you would recommend?
I'd recommend using a distributed version control if possible, like Mercurial or Git. This is a good introduction. Subversion is a popular centralised version control system.

That's what it was I was looking for lol. Thanks a lot. Do you have any specifically you would recommend?

I'd second the git suggestion. Git Extensions integrates into VC if needed and does a pretty good job with GitHub hosted projects. I prefer git over cvs/svn because I'm not always connected to the internet and it has excellent branching abilities for quick experiments. Mercurial is similar but I don't have as much experience with it and I didn't find the tools as well integrated with my various platforms.

EDIT: Should have said that perforce and others require network for local work, svn does not.

What you are looking for is a "source control server".

Also "version control."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement