Help with optimizations

Started by
13 comments, last by Nitage 12 years, 8 months ago
[size=2]Here is the test: You have an std::vector full of random numbers and some of the numbers are repeated several times randomly. You must find the most efficient[size=2] way to create another vector with all numbers in the list referenced[size=2] only once and ordered from the lowest to the highest.
Advertisement
std::sort followed by std::unique, done. (For better performance you might want to use unique_copy to avoid O(n^2) complexity).
Or just create a set from the data:

std::set<int>(input.begin(), input.end());

The set doesn't allow duplicates, and uses a binary search tree to sort from low to high.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Or you take Washu's C++ Quiz
I swear, if you get them all straight, I'll buy you a drink :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

std::sort followed by std::unique, done. (For better performance you might want to use unique_copy to avoid O(n^2) complexity).

std::unique has O(n) complexity.

The set doesn't allow duplicates, and uses a binary search tree to sort from low to high.

std::set definitely appears to be the best way to do it. Now I need a way to get a vector of the locations of values within the first vector that match the given set.

Example: {5,3,2,1,2,5}
Search: 5
Result: {0,5}

I know this is going to sound stupid but how do I read an item from the set? Tried this but it does not work:

DWORD foo= *(theSet.begin() + n);

EDIT: This works:

DWORD foo= (DWORD)(&theSet+(n*sizeof(DWORD)));

However I assume there must be a better way?...
You know, if you actually had a question you'd probably be better off phrasing your thread title as something other than a pissing contest. In any case, how you read elements from a set depend on how you want to use it. If you're iterating through the elements then you'd use a standard iterator loop:

for (SetType::iterator i = my_set.begin(); i != my_set.end(); ++i) {
// do something with *i
}

You know, if you actually had a question you'd probably be better off phrasing your thread title as something other than a pissing contest. In any case, how you read elements from a set depend on how you want to use it. If you're iterating through the elements then you'd use a standard iterator loop:

for (SetType::iterator i = my_set.begin(); i != my_set.end(); ++i) {
// do something with *i
}

Yeah I already had code that did that and knew there must be a way to optimize it. I should have just tiled it something like "optimize this." Anyway, I was basically trying to create separate index buffers for each subset of my mesh given an attribute buffer.

Here is what I have now:

// Create Index buffers.
std::set<DWORD> usedAttributes(attributes.begin(), attributes.end());
std::vector<std::vector<Ovgl::Face>> index_subsets;
index_subsets.resize(usedAttributes.size());
for( unsigned int i = 0; i < attributes.size(); i++ )
{
unsigned int s = 0;
for( std::set<DWORD>::iterator j = usedAttributes.begin(); j != usedAttributes.end(); ++j)
{
if( attributes == *j )
{
index_subsets[s].push_back(faces);
}
s++;
}
}

See anything I can do to optimize that?

std::unique has O(n) complexity.

Oh yeah, true that. I blame being tired for thinking of such a naive implementation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement