Sign in to follow this  
xytor

[Flash AS3] Displacement map grief (reward for solution)

First of all I'd like to offer $10 paypal reward to the first poster that solves this (or is most instrumental to me solving it).

Anyway, I have a flash game that uses AS3. I use a MovieClip as a layer for all of the game's MovieClip objects (inside of the root). I also want to apply a DisplacementMapFilter to that MovieClip.
However, since the displacement map doesn't scale with its target object, and the children move offscreen causing the width and height to fluctuate, I can't position the displacement map perfectly to the screen.

Does anybody have a solution or any insight?

One way would be to apply a mask to that movieclip that is the size of your screen, and put that in a container clip. Then apply the displacement filter to that container clip.

You might be able to directly apply your screen mask to the clip without putting it into a container, but I'm not sure if the displacement filter uses the unmasked dimensions or not -- have never tried that.

Obviously, although this should work, there is performance to think about anytime you are using a full screen mask :)

[quote name='xytor' timestamp='1313988612' post='4852125']
First of all I'd like to offer $10 paypal reward to the first poster that solves this (or is most instrumental to me solving it).

Anyway, I have a flash game that uses AS3. I use a MovieClip as a layer for all of the game's MovieClip objects (inside of the root). I also want to apply a DisplacementMapFilter to that MovieClip.
However, since the displacement map doesn't scale with its target object, and the children move offscreen causing the width and height to fluctuate, I can't position the displacement map perfectly to the screen.

Does anybody have a solution or any insight?
[/quote]