Creating a distributeable program that uses direct X

Started by
4 comments, last by ThePointingMan 12 years, 8 months ago
Me and a friend of mine started making a side scrolling shoot em up game in high-school, and now that high-school is over, I'd like to apply for some post secondary education, but in my applications I thought it would be neat if I could show them something I've created already, and I`m having trouble running the program on computer`s that are not mine, and.. well I'd like to fix that before giving it to them for obvious reasons.

I created this program in Microsoft visual C++ using direct x 9.0.

Now, the person Who did all the art for me wanted to see all the stuff in action, so I sent the game to him, and that's when I realized I had this problem; it didn't work on his computer. After a bit of trying to figure out what I needed to do to make it so I could send it to him, I saw that the compiler was set to debug, so I switched it to Release, but now I get the error, d3dx9.h : no such file in directory.
Advertisement
You need to copy the include directory settings from your Debug build to your Release build, right click on the project in the Solution explorer, under VC++ directories make sure all directories are the same across the different build types (dropdown box at the top of the window).

Also, DirectX is notorious for using a ton of different DLLs. You need to find the appropriate installer for the exact version of DirectX you are using to make it runnable on other computers. This should be included with your install of the dev tools (I think).
Alright! The first part has Made the solution compile properly thank you very much!

Also, DirectX is notorious for using a ton of different DLLs. You need to find the appropriate installer for the exact version of DirectX you are using to make it runnable on other computers. This should be included with your install of the dev tools (I think).

Now for the second part, Am I going to need to include like, the direct x 9 redistibuteable and the microsoft sdk redistributable or something in the folder i send the game to and just tell people to install those?

Now for the second part, Am I going to need to include like, the direct x 9 redistibuteable and the microsoft sdk redistributable or something in the folder i send the game to and just tell people to install those?

no just the DX redist.
it is located in the DX SDK folder.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

[quote name='ThePointingMan' timestamp='1314001792' post='4852179']

no just the DX redist.
it is located in the DX SDK folder.
[/quote]

And (almost certainly) the correct c runtime redist for compiler used. OP: look for "msvcrt"

[size="1"]
Alright thank you all so much! ProtoMaster now works on other peoples computers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement