How is the demo of my game?

Started by
12 comments, last by CaptainVG 12 years, 7 months ago
[color=#FFFFFF][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]http://www.2shared.com/file/KXTQbpfW...tic_Pixel.html[/font]

I want to know the graphics part of my upcoming game. What exactly is graphics btw? Artwork or rendering?

Here are a few rules.

1.You can only shoot once a period. So use it wisely
2. You must dodge obstacles or else the game ends.
3. move with the arrow keys and space to shoot.
g

[font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#dedede"]I made a few changes which are[/font]

[font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color=#DEDEDE][size=2]1. you can't shoot a lot of bullets. You can only shoot one at a time. and reloading takes time too![/font]

[font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color=#DEDEDE][size=2]2. As you progress, you will have to dodge more comets[/font]

[font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color=#DEDEDE][size=2]Just a little more stuff from the right, the score table and this game is done. [/font]
[color="#DEDEDE"][font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font]
[color="#DEDEDE"][font="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I want to know how the graphics are and what is graphics in games. Is it art or rendering?[/font]
Advertisement
its going so fast, i die after 1 second of playing due to an asteroid coming from the left side :-)

I open sourced my C++/iOS OpenGL 2D RPG engine :-)

See my blog: (Tutorials and GameDev)

[size=2]http://howtomakeitin....wordpress.com/

Don't send that grey rock right off the bat, it hits the ship near immediately. Game play after that really in not fast it is just that initial rock, once you dodge it things slow down a bit. Once you do die however the game doesn't end.

Didn't get far in but maybe some animations in the objects would help.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

Ok like I said its just the demo of it. So how are the graphics?
dunnoo.. i die to fast to be able to play it..

gameplay > graphics IMO

I open sourced my C++/iOS OpenGL 2D RPG engine :-)

See my blog: (Tutorials and GameDev)

[size=2]http://howtomakeitin....wordpress.com/

I made some improvements this time. Hope its better.

http://www.2shared.com/file/i2Fovjov/Galactic_Pixel.html
Look I need professional help from you guys alright. I just want to get experience for making games and this is my first unique one.

So please I need your advice. I'm not a great artist, but I made a lot of effort in making this simple game. So tell me how the graphics are please?
It's an exe file. Please, get something else! No way I'm downloading any exe without being able to scan it first - zip it or something. Then I'll take a look :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

It's an exe file. Please, get something else! No way I'm downloading any exe without being able to scan it first - zip it or something. Then I'll take a look :)

http://www.2shared.com/file/01A9w1zv/Galactic_Pixel.html

Here's the game in zip file. Now how is it?
Okay, a few general comments:

* It wasn't obvious how to start the game when it first popped up. This is a minor complaint; but having expressively written "Press any key" or similar would help. When it first came up, since the mouse was in plain view, I thought 'Start' actually was a menu option - so only after trying to click it did I figure out how to really start the game. Okay, so not the best of starts, but let's move on...
* ...then we get to the 'DODGE STARS' bit. I thought 'stars' in this case would refer to the little white things that, you know, look like stars. The fact that they do zero damage and are apparently just the background wasn't that obvious until the game started - which is bad enough - if it wasn't for the fact that without any silly 'DODGE STARS' text I would probably have assumed that those white thingies just were the background. This is ineffectual graphics design, bad instructions, and a mix of both.
* So, I start the game and there are these red looking asteroids coming at me. Now, either there is something confusing with your graphical choice or I am just not getting it but wasn't I supposed to be dodging stars?
* I get hit and die. Whoope-dee-dooo. But...the game doesn't tell me that. In fact, it doesn't tell me anything. No game over screen, no 'try again!' - hell, not even a simple 'You Lose"!
* So I let the game keep looping and what do you know... the asteroids multiply until they cover the entire width of the screen thus making it impossible to survive.
* ...and by this time I quit the game.

Look, it's an OK start but this is nowhere near fun or good yet. There are a couple of quick fixes to some of these issues, like the game over screen and the insanely multiplying asteroids, but the real problem is that this isn't a 'demo' - it's an unfinished space invaders clone, but with less fun. I also noted you could fire, but it seemed to take forever to be able to fire again thus making it implausible to cut a hole through the asteroid field coming up later. Actually, I just figured out - you can't shoot again!

Anyhow, the point is this - you need a lot of work on all aspects; the graphics in them self are okay but nothing special and... that's about it. Not much to comment on here.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement