• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jenova

Food for thought!

This topic is 6171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking (duh) the other day, how come there aren''t more female coders? when i was in university, there were absolutely none. in the work force i have yet to meet any female who knowledge beyond some DOS scripting or VisualBasic skills. there are many women in other fields of I.T. why not programming? if am horribly mistaken, women PLEASE speak up! this is NOT meant to bash anyone, male or female, just utter curousity. hmmmmmmmm! To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Advertisement
My girlfriend is currently studying Comp sci/Elec eng. She now has a general knowledge of c++, a little of c, etc. and she''s in 2nd year.

Of course she''s hoping to transfer to an aviation course next year....

I''m not female, but I did a paper on Women in Computing a few months ago. There is evidence to indicate that girls are from a young age encouraged not to flaunt thier intelligence, particularly in the sciences. Boys wont ask girls who are "braniacs" on dates. Also, teachers wont point to girls to ask questions in classes - get this - even if the girls have their hands up!

You can get a lot more information - statistics, evidence, programs - from the Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics.

oddly enough
When I was getting my B.S. in electrical engineering there where two women in the EE department and neither one of them would even touch anything that had too do with programming. Also in the CS department there where three women and one really liked to program and wanted to go into the field but the other two said they could not stand programming (even though they where in the CS department)

Gaming is a way of life believe it

what do you mean boys wont ask brainy girls out on dates!?!?!?!?!

i would rather go out with a brainy girl then some airhead

what do you mean boys wont ask brainy girls out on dates!?!?!?!?!

i would rather go out with a brainy girl then some airhead broad with a nice body

The difference between individual behavior and averages, and the ability to discern the two, are realizations that come with maturity. Your time will come.

Our CSCI 4050 (Game Programming) has about 40-50 people in it. I think two of them are female.

In the Computer Game Art class with which we work, however, the artist gender distribution is about even.

My conclusion: It''s not for lack of interest in computer games.

---
blahpers

i personally blame the adults & parents
they always seem to keep girls away from things they deem boyish(for lack of a better term)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!