Food for thought!

Started by
48 comments, last by jenova 22 years, 6 months ago
i thought there were more women then men in the world

but see now i only insulted about 49.99999% of the world
"And God said, 'Let there be death', and there was death"
Advertisement
The difference between supporting an opinion and recognizing that its author has a right to it, is critical to constructive dialogue. You have a right to your opinion, as does Mad4Life. I don''t necessarily agree with either of you - I never stated my own opinions on women, and don''t need to (it''s irrelevant).

I apologize for calling you a boor. Feel better now? Now quit playing this righteous anger shit and get back to the real discussion.
It is a well-known fact that males and females produce different quantities of different hormones. It is also a well-known fact that many of these hormones affect the brain. Testosterone increases agressiveness, among other things. Excesses of estrogen, among other things, leads to irritable behavior. So our brains do work a little differently.

But my first reaction was to say that none of this has anything to do with the fact that there are so few female coders. I thought, "It's just a cultural thing. Girls aren't encouraged to do this kind of thing; boys are."

Then I started to think a little more. I realized that in all world cultures, ancient and modern, that I can think of, men have been the builders, the engineers, and the mathematicians. I find it hard to believe that the fact that just about all cultures evolved in the same way in this aspect is just coincidence. I think that there really may be a biological component to the reason women are such a minority in the field.

But I'm not sure.

And I still think there is a strong cultural component to the reason, whatever it is, that there are so few female coders. Ada Lovelace, for one, and the guy failing out of Remedial Math 1 at your local high school (there's always at least one!), for another, don't seem to fit the "biological" mold.

Edited by - TerranFury on September 21, 2001 8:01:15 PM
Well,

From my experience, my parents were not too technologically updated, and I was yep pushed to do some social science etc...but I didn''t like it. It''s hard because parents wants to do the best they can for their children but sometimes misunderstanding gets in the way.
...bla..bla..bla...*random thoughts again*
>>>>>>Felisandria....
To be honest I have trouble focusing as well, because there''s just so darn much interesting stuff out there. I play 7 instruments, do every handcraft known to man, was into martial arts before I hurt myself, and listing all the topics of interest that I read about on a regular basis would take far too long. Suffice it to say that it''s everything from medieval weaponry to current cultures around the world.
>>>>>>

Heh, I''m not saying male programmers don''t have hobbies or other commitments! I know I do. Felisandria were you ever close to choosing something other then programming?

"So much fun, so little time."
~Michael Sikora
Well, I''ve been programming since I was 8, but I never really considered it as a career choice until I left college to be honest.

During my teenage years I considered a veterinary career, tried it (as a veterinary assistant), didn''t like it. I spent 5 years through high school and early college as an engineering intern for a rural electric company, doing autocad for maps among other things. My degree is actually Electrical Engineering, though while in college I took a bunch of programming classes (up to 24 credit hours at a time, when "normal" is 12) because I found them interesting. When I graduated, I got a job offer to write satellite ground station software, and I thought hey... they''ll actually pay me to do my hobby... so I went for it.

My high school english teacher is still convinced that I did the world a disservice by not being a journalist. My grandmother wants to know when I''m going to stop playing with those newfangled computers and follow my true calling as a concert pianist. *wry smile* My parents are proud of me, and all of my sisters as well.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
i kinda wish all females were like u
They may not be interested because of the way they think or they don''t want others to think badly of them. It is not as bad for guys to like video games so it is also not as bad for them to like computers. This comes from the way America is. It is worse or better in other countries. Let''s not try to do unnatural mandated social reworking or killing parents. Let''s just praise the women who were strong enough to go past it and be all they could be. Besides, if I was a home economics major, I would not complain about there not being enough guys in it.
Girls think that if they were in to computers they would be labled as computer nerds. But if they dressed really cool and play in a punk band that would make them seem more cool, so they could still be in to computer without being labled a geek.
yeah rudy2 I know what you mean about being a home economics major cuz dat wud be dope to have class with all those girls. uh huh

Edited by - rudy on September 22, 2001 1:56:38 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement