education question involving programming

Started by
2 comments, last by s2p 12 years, 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I have a question that i personally don't know how to answer so i ask out to the community for ideas and thoughts on it.

In my college course Game Programming II -3D Programming. The teach has given us the option of 2 different routes for programming and it's class majority decision.

our first path is using unity to develop 3d games in, i've used it and learned basics about it and it has potential.

our second path is using C# with the xna library, i learned 2D programming this way.

Our teacher says the XNA is more for building your own engine which if you were to get a programming job right out of college you would most likely not be doing, (i generally agree with this but have no idea if that is true or not) He also goes on to say that using unity will be better for our portfolios as we will have a more "polished" product to show off other than a game engine we've built.

So my question is this.. on a resume stand point will building with engine components look better or something already built in a game engine/level editing tools look better?

Also if you had this option in front of you what would you pick and why?

thanks for all advice.
Advertisement
Whatever looks better, looks better. Unity will probably get you something faster, something which *looks* better, and if you're advertising game development/design skills actual gameplay. XNA will almost certainly better prepare you for programming for a living, but will likely have less to show because you're doing more yourself. Personally, I'd be more impressed with a good small XNA tool than a small well made unity game.

It depends on what your goals are, and how much you need this class to teach you programming as opposed to your other courses.
Man I'm jealous. I wish I could get a school term to play around in Unity.

XNA is a library and was more involving than I cared to be. If you're a technical person you'd probably enjoy tailoring each part of your framework, choosing which physics engine to implement, etc.

For me, coming from front end web development, Unity has become an addiction. It's like my personal SDK for any project I can think of. It was even used in a television commercial lol: http://www.vimeo.com/27797225

It's incredibly productive for it's simplicity. Some of the middleware multiplayer servers coming out are pretty slick as well. http://www.unitypark3d.com/

I doubt you'll be disappointed either way your class chooses....
You're covering both bases in your course which is good. C++ and C# are a requirement of the jobs out there today and using engines like Torque/Unity for Indie game developers to the more commercial engines like Unreal/Cry3. Everything does seem to be heading c# way though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement