Sign in to follow this  
RanBlade

Interview

RanBlade    731
I have a question about the job interview for a programming position, I've never had to do a real job interview before with my line of work. I was just curious how formal the suit or attire is for a programming interview? Does it need to be the full blown suit/tie or a little less formal. I don't want to overdress or under dress for my interviews and to find out what I need to buy because I don't really own a suit or any "formal" clothing. Thank you in advance.

Tom Sloper    16040
Do not wear a suit!
Dress one notch above how you will dress at work.
If you normally will wear blue jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt, then wear blue jeans with a button-down shirt and nice shoes.

If you show up wearing a necktie, everybody will snicker about the dweeb who thinks he has to dress up. They'll hide the snicker and be polite, but the point is, it's a bad first impression you'd have to overcome.

Palidine    1315
Ask the HR representative that's setting up the interview for you. This is a normal question to ask, and I've asked it before every interview. Different offices have different dress codes and expectations for interview candidates.

-me