Windows XP does not support OpenGL????

Started by
14 comments, last by gameovercl 22 years, 6 months ago
I''ve taken a look into XP''s installation inf files. It has COMMENTED all the OpenGL ICD drivers, if any. Is that mean, if we do not install the driver from our video card vendor, we won''t have hardware accelerated performance?
And where''s the DX wraper for opengl? I haven''t found it. If it really exist, I''d thank it a lot. Because my opengl driver has some bugs, and I haven''t found anything to replace it.
Advertisement
The DX wrapper for OGL is installed by default, but if you install drivers for your 3D card that have OGL drivers with them, then they will be used instead.

On a fresh install of XP, run an app that retrieves the OGL renderer string... it so happens to say "Direct3D"
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
The DirectGL implementation runs very poorly* from what I''ve read. Although, it''s true that it would be good for people with crappy video cards and/or drivers.

*) I''m not trying to bash Direct3D. It''s just like the voodoo OpenGL drivers would use Glide, and they''d run less well than modern OpenGL drivers. Graphics API wrappers that use another API have never seemed to work as well, but it''s easy to understand why.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Apparently its about half the speed of a proper OpenGL driver with nVidia cards.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Xai : SB16 emulation is supporte via abstract layer... then all sound is played by DirectSound... the nice thing is DOS games actualy autodetect SB16 with al the required settings..

Maximus : Abour DX->OGL warper... some things run at equal speed some run at maybe 10%... deppends on application.... I tried some games (UT/QA) and the both run great, but when I tried some of my demos performance was crap...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Hmm I guess it would depend on the gfx card and system then, what I heard from a friend was that performance was about half that of proper OGL. He used Q3a timedemo for the benchmark.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement