Windows XP does not support OpenGL????

Started by
14 comments, last by gameovercl 22 years, 6 months ago
A friend of mine told me that Windows XP does not support OpenGL in ANY WAY. Is that true? Please somebody answer me with proofs Shit! I don''t want to code on D3D again!!!!! DAMMIT!!! Cristián Ramírez (gameovercl) ICQ #38991565 Viña del Mar CHILE
Advertisement
Opengl is available on WinXP.

Winxp is very similar to win2000... so everything that works on win2000 will work on winxp.
A more interesting question is what made your friend tell you that ? Once again: no it''s not true, there''s too many OpenGL programs for Microsoft to drop it.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
WinXP definately supports OpenGL... there is even a Direct3D wrapper with it incase your video card doesnt have OpenGL drivers, though the performance is a lot better than software OpenGL, it isnt nearly as fast as a proper OpenGL driver.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Just in-case you didnt know, Windows XP is supposed to be designed for gamers..... so that fact alone means its extremely unlikely there would be no OpenGL support seeing as many of the best online games are OpenGL...

But yeah... its going to be a lot like 2000 ( just more user friendly, and more compatible with software ), and OpenGL will be supported.

~Cobra~ CEO of Microsoft. *grin*
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Windows XP is NOT designed for gamers ... it is designed to allow microsoft to quit paying 2 OS development groups to maintain two semi-compatible operating systems ...

What this means for you is:

A) you get the benifits of NT based code (memory hog, better performance, better stability, support for multiple proceesors)

B) you get the ability to run workstation software made for NT ... and run it right.

C) you may or may not (i''ve heard conflicting views on this) get ANY 16 bit support ... which would mean no win 3.1 programs work, no DOS programs work, and some of the early win95 programs (using thunks) may not work. I''ve heard they have a compatiblity mode ... but I know the code base is 2000 ... and 2000 cannot run DOS or other 16 bit code at ALL ...

D) As for OpenGL ... since NT was made for professionals ... it has ALWAYS had OpenGL support ... even before D3D was invented (NT 3.5 anyone) ... XP (just like 2000) will has support for many professional OpenGL rendering cards that do not run under Win9x ...

E) Finally the development systems and client systems will run the same OS ... anyone here remember developing on NT 4 boxes with Visaul Studio and running on Win95 OSR 2 ... for DirectX
WinXP supports OpenGL. I haven't found single error with it... in fact it runs even better than in win2k... at lest with Detonator(4)XP drivers... at lest on my comp... but after all openGL is not the matter of OS but of graphic card drivers (the default ones are crap )

Xai :
Just some errors in C) ... allmost all win3.1 programs work in winXP... in fact about 95% of things I tested has worked... the only thing that doesn't work are system programs(guess why? )).. Old DOS games run with NO problem WITH sound (winXP has integrated SB16 emulation).. and compatiblity mode is not the same as in win2k... it has been almost complety rewriten..

Edited by - _DarkWIng_ on September 21, 2001 1:05:18 PM
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Thanks for info dark wing ... i knew i''d heard microsoft SAY that is had done that ... but since no NT OS before had succesfully done so (since actually it would be impossible to let the chip run in 16 bit mode and still have a preemptive OS) ... glad to hear they did it right this time (so does this mean that they FAKE (emulate) 16 bit mode ... they must translate 16 bit code to 32 bit code and then feed it to processor ... just like running x86 code on an Alpha ... but i guess since processors are SOOO fast no compared to anything that 16 bit code was ever meant to use it would be possible no problem ...(people quick writing ANY 16 bit code by the time the PII had come out ... i''d say Pentium MMX 233 was about the last processor any DOS game ever needed) ...

So you say it has SB16 support in DOS ... so it''s an abstract layer ??? so it would then work on ALL windows sound cards ... they just intercept and translate the SB16 interupts into Direct Sound probably???
as others have said u can use opengl with winXP

taken from a nvidia press release

The NVIDIA® Detonator XP Unified Driver delivers new performance
optimizations and features in both OpenGL® and DirectX® to deliver industry-leading
performance, visual quality, and reliability in the industry’s only true
integrated software upgrade. Detonator XP provides a free performance upgrade
for your NVIDIA Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), including the TNT™,
GeForce2™ and GeForce3™ family of GPUs. Detonator XP also offers full
hardware and software acceleration for Windows® XP (the next-generation
operating system from Microsoft®), enabling the best digital experience for
Windows XP Home Edition and Professional users.
Well, considering that I''ve been using OpenGL in XP for the past few months, I would be inclined to believe that it supports it.

Xai: Yep, it''s true. NTVDM now supports such wonderful things as DMA and VESA, meaning you get sound in all your DOS games.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement