DX and OGL developper licenses

Started by
3 comments, last by PyroMeistar 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, What license do we have as developpers using DirectX and OpenGL? Can we just make and sell game using those libraries without paying any fees toward M$? This might seems like a stupid question but believe me, I''ve been searching info about this for quite a while...
Advertisement
You don''t have to pay anything to use either.
I''m not 100% sure but I''ve always though it went like this

You can use direct X and OGL as and when you like to make/sell stuff but I think you have you watch out if you are writing code with versions of Visual Studio which are not Professional or Enterprise (not just DX and OGL stuff, everything).

I could be wrong but I''ve got along way to go before selling stuff

Hope that was of some use

X2k
There are no royalties or restrictions on making or selling products that use either DirectX or OpenGL. DirectX(Microsoft) and OpenGL(SGI) make money by licensing the source code to hardware vendors and driver programmers. While game programmers don''t have to pay to use them, companies like nVidia pay for us. (Though supporting DX and OGL more than makes money for them : Would you buy a card that didn''t support either one? Just look at how long Glide lasted....)

Feel free to email me.
[email=JValentine_13@hotmail.com]contact[/email]
Thanks for your help! Fortunatly, I have VC++ 6.0 Entreprise edition... And too bad Glide is dead, it was a cool API.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement