• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual Basics : whats possible with it?

This topic is 5994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I''ve just started to learn Visual Basics at my 6th form college. We have basically just been practising basic things. I was just curious how far you can go with this programming. What I mean by that is, is it possible to make game engines ect?. Sorry if this is a silly question! Thanks Steve

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
A friend of mine wrote a really nice version of tetris in VB, so it must be possible to do more complex works.

They wouldn''t provide VB support in the DirectX SDK if it wasn''t!

- Pete

thanks for those words of wisdom er guys.....!

My Dad just recently bought me some programming software for me to help me in my studies. Though I don''t know what half of its about. Can someone shed some light on these proggys and what they do?.

Thanks

Microsoft Visual FoxPro 6.0
Microsoft Visual InterDev 6.0
C++
SPY++

I don''t have a clue what there used for!???

Thanks again

complex games are a very real possibility, and there are alot of programmers who are using it. go to thenexus.bc.ca for links and news in the vb game development scene.

VB has gotten alot faster in its more recent incarnations, and the addition of DX support helps it out a ton.
personally, 90% of the tools i make for my games are done in vb, just because its speeds up development time, and increases productivity.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

thanks for that cool site eldee, does anyone know any info about those other programs I have?

Thanks

Edited by - stevem444 on September 21, 2001 3:42:22 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by stevem444
thanks for those words of wisdom er guys.....!

My Dad just recently bought me some programming software for me to help me in my studies. Though I don''t know what half of its about. Can someone shed some light on these proggys and what they do?.

Thanks

Microsoft Visual FoxPro 6.0
Microsoft Visual InterDev 6.0
C++
SPY++

I don''t have a clue what there used for!???

Thanks again

Foxpro -- Used for databases i believe

Interdev -- Used for data based web design is what MS says

C++ -- An extremely powerful language that the majority of computer games are made using.

Spy++ -- I believe this little utility that comes with visual studio is a program that lets you see the messages between windows and a program.... I''ve never really used it so I''m not sure.

For creating games c++ is what you should really keep track of.

--Drakonite (at school, that''s why I''m AP)

Since you're learning VB anyway you might want to learn how to use DirectX with it. VB makes creating DirectX games much easier since it hides much of the complexity of DirectX. Here's some links that might help:

http://rookscape.com/vbgaming/
http://64.23.12.52/
http://voodoovb.thenexus.bc.ca/

Here's some engine links:
http://www.truevision3dsdk.com/
http://www.eldermage.com/

Although commercial games are done in C++, there's a lot you can do with VB.

Breakaway Games

Edited by - Machaira on September 21, 2001 3:50:06 PM

quote:
Yes you can make games in VB. Is it practical? Not in my opinion (notice the opinion word there, no flaming me ). What can I say, I like my pointers.

Now, remembering that what you said was an opinion, and therefore cannot be disproven I would like to point (trying to think of a different word to avoid a bad pun ) out that you can use pointers in VB. So although you may not want to program games in VB, which is fine, don''t imlpy things which aren''t true.

Back on topic, I''d say a person with the same willingness to create games will create good games in either C++ or VB once they can use either of them. Once you can express your thinking using a programming language, it doesn''t matter any more. So, go for VB, go for C++. People will tell you that VB is easier or that C++ is better in the long run. I put it to you, that which ever one you take, the end result will be pretty much the same. If you don''t have a desire to learn, then you will get nowhere in both of them. If you don''t have patience, I can''t see any programming language fixing that.

ps... vb is good

Trying is the first step towards failure.

I was using pointers to symbolize the method of programming that I''ve become used to practicing in C or C++ . I guess I shouldn''t have used that exact phrase, since there are pointers in VB technically, but now everyone can tell exactly what I meant . I could also bring up the fact that my engine compiles and runs on numerous operating systems .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Read this lips. "Anything can be possible , but there's aways differents ways to get it possible ". there u should know what i'm talking about

"The shortcut is not always the best way " ][v][etal ']['yphoon

Edited by - Metal Typhoon on September 21, 2001 12:59:28 AM

Yeah, if you need any portability away from Windows, then you are stupid to use VB

Different programming languages require different ways of thinking. And if you think in C++ it is different to thinking in VB. One day I hope to be able to use them both as effectively as each other, but right now, my VB programming is much more efficient, faster and more fun than C++ so that is kind of why I said what I said above about the end result being the same. When I apply myself to learning C++ then I have the same result as when I did apply myself to VB... so the morale of this story is to do what you want to do... as long as you don''t want to do COBOL

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Spy++ is used for seeing messages sent to windows, as well as class & window styles. It''s useful for some debugging purposes as well.

• Advertisement