Visual Basics : whats possible with it?

Started by
13 comments, last by stevem444 22 years, 6 months ago
quote:Yes you can make games in VB. Is it practical? Not in my opinion (notice the opinion word there, no flaming me ). What can I say, I like my pointers.

Now, remembering that what you said was an opinion, and therefore cannot be disproven I would like to point (trying to think of a different word to avoid a bad pun ) out that you can use pointers in VB. So although you may not want to program games in VB, which is fine, don''t imlpy things which aren''t true.

Back on topic, I''d say a person with the same willingness to create games will create good games in either C++ or VB once they can use either of them. Once you can express your thinking using a programming language, it doesn''t matter any more. So, go for VB, go for C++. People will tell you that VB is easier or that C++ is better in the long run. I put it to you, that which ever one you take, the end result will be pretty much the same. If you don''t have a desire to learn, then you will get nowhere in both of them. If you don''t have patience, I can''t see any programming language fixing that.

ps... vb is good

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Advertisement
I was using pointers to symbolize the method of programming that I''ve become used to practicing in C or C++ . I guess I shouldn''t have used that exact phrase, since there are pointers in VB technically, but now everyone can tell exactly what I meant . I could also bring up the fact that my engine compiles and runs on numerous operating systems .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Read this lips. "Anything can be possible , but there's aways differents ways to get it possible ". there u should know what i'm talking about

"The shortcut is not always the best way " ][v][etal ']['yphoon

Edited by - Metal Typhoon on September 21, 2001 12:59:28 AM
Metal Typhoon
Yeah, if you need any portability away from Windows, then you are stupid to use VB

Different programming languages require different ways of thinking. And if you think in C++ it is different to thinking in VB. One day I hope to be able to use them both as effectively as each other, but right now, my VB programming is much more efficient, faster and more fun than C++ so that is kind of why I said what I said above about the end result being the same. When I apply myself to learning C++ then I have the same result as when I did apply myself to VB... so the morale of this story is to do what you want to do... as long as you don''t want to do COBOL

Spy++ is used for seeing messages sent to windows, as well as class & window styles. It''s useful for some debugging purposes as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement