• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
techtvfan

Does radiosity work with skylight?

This topic is 2662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does radiosity work with skylight (directional light)? From reading online it sounds like it was intended to work with point lights but I would really like to make it work with skylight if possible.

If I did misunderstand how would I make this work with skylight?

The form factor attenuates for distance, area, and orientation of the patches. It doesn't seem like that would all apply in skylight.

I have a primitive implementation of radiosity in the cpu using ray casting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Does radiosity work with skylight (directional light)? From reading online it sounds like it was intended to work with point lights but I would really like to make it work with skylight if possible.
radiosity is the distribution of light energy, it does not know about any types of light, it just distributes the energy. you can either have emissive parts in your solution or you need to inject the light intensity from a lightsource to visible parts in first place. in both cases you then just distribute the light.
If I did misunderstand how would I make this work with skylight? [/quote] in the simples way, your sun is just a very very very far away point light, you could get your calculation done like that. if you really want the whole sky to cast light, you could take the skybox as an emissive part of your lighting solution. sky does not need to receive light from the solution, so you wouldn't really need to tessellate it into billion of tiny patches (or whatever algorithm you use).

The form factor attenuates for distance, area, and orientation of the patches. It doesn't seem like that would all apply in skylight.[/quote] sure it does, but the sky scales width distances, so, if you double the scale of your skybox, you double it's size and distance, which in the equation would compensate both sides.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!