• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Asesh

PhysX SDK v3 on ATI Radeon HD 5730?

This topic is 2658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to install and use PhysX SDK v3 on my Radeon HD 5730 so that I can use it in my game? Since, it's an ATI card and not an NVIDIA one...I went to the SDK site and didn't find anything useful regarding system requirements though PhysX system software will only work on NVIDIA cards

Advertisement
Spent a few minutes Googling around, and the best I could come up with is that someone was trying to make this happen back in 2008, but nothing seems to have come of it. The most recent info I could find suggests that you can use one AMD card and one nVidia card at the same time, with the nVidia card doing the PhysX processing - but this requires a hacked driver and isn't exactly the same as what you're looking for.

Is it possible to install and use PhysX SDK v3 on my Radeon HD 5730 so that I can use it in my game? Since, it's an ATI card and not an NVIDIA one...I went to the SDK site and didn't find anything useful regarding system requirements though PhysX system software will only work on NVIDIA cards

Hi,

you can use PhysX on any card, but you will have only software processing, not GPU. (so it will be slower with big scenes). That should be only constraint.

[quote name='Asesh' timestamp='1314871963' post='4856218']Is it possible to install and use PhysX SDK v3 on my Radeon HD 5730 so that I can use it in my game? Since, it's an ATI card and not an NVIDIA one...I went to the SDK site and didn't find anything useful regarding system requirements though PhysX system software will only work on NVIDIA cards

Hi,

you can use PhysX on any card, but you will have only software processing, not GPU. (so it will be slower with big scenes). That should be only constraint.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply guys. Havok runs on CPU only right? So I will def. go with PhysX and right now am downloading PhysX SDK :)

Thanks for the reply guys. Havok runs on CPU only right? So I will def. go with PhysX and right now am downloading PhysX SDK :)

I think so about havok. But be cautios about physx3 -> it's quite new so there is no APEX for it yet (destructions, cloth and fluids.) Also there is no max/ maya plugin yet. No so much tutorials (on internet or in SDK). Right now i have 2.8.4. something and i'm happy with it. I wanted to switch to 3 but i wasn't able to load repX file (no tutorials yet).
Also becaose of not direct export from max creating of repX file is bit long. (You need to attach PVD to scene and then export frame as repX). So currently i will wait half of year and then i will take look at physX3 :) . But i will port someday for sure.

[quote name='Asesh' timestamp='1314977132' post='4856783']

I think so about havok. But be cautios about physx3 -> it's quite new so there is no APEX for it yet (destructions, cloth and fluids.) Also there is no max/ maya plugin yet. No so much tutorials (on internet or in SDK). Right now i have 2.8.4. something and i'm happy with it. I wanted to switch to 3 but i wasn't able to load repX file (no tutorials yet).
Also becaose of not direct export from max creating of repX file is bit long. (You need to attach PVD to scene and then export frame as repX). So currently i will wait half of year and then i will take look at physX3 :) . But i will port someday for sure.
[/quote]

And does PhysX support importing of characters created from 3ds Max and character animation too? Havok does that. And thanks again

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!