• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GalaxyQuest

Developer Runtime Install VS Home User Install

This topic is 6041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, i DONT need explainations of dshow, ddraw, d3d, etc. What I have confused myself on is the different downloads available to the home game user and the developer... Lets start with: DirectX 8.0 C++ SDK... This one I get, it just contains the files and librarys to link your project to for building. "However, You will need to install the DirectX 8.0 DEVELOPER RUNTIME in order to run the executables or compile any developed applications within this SDK." DX8 DEVELOPER RUNTIME(55 megs) vs DX8.0a Home User install(11 megs) This one I dont get, "DEVELOPER RUNTIME download contains both debug and retail DirectX 8.0 system components." This i dont understand. Is the download that the home game user installs on his/her OS a bunch of runtime components and therefore why would I the developer need both on my computer, a home installation of DX8 AND the Developer Runtime?? Also, is it possible that the developer runtime installation CAN OVERWRITE a home user installation of DX8 or mix and match different components? Finally, the DX8 redist... This is an update to the developer runtime. Nothing terribly hard about this. I guess my real confusion is with what the developer runtime installation is VS the home user installation is. I thought that you dont need this developer runtime since after you build your DX8 project it uses the home user install as all other DX applications do. I hope you see why I am all screwed up here!

Advertisement
I haven''t downloaded the DirectX SDK in a while, and the last time I did, they hadn''t split things up like that (it was just one big 150MG download). Anyway, inside that download, there were two version of the DirectX runtime, Debug and Release. The Release runtime was exactly the same as in the Home User download. The Debug runtime contained a bit of extra parameter checking and a whole heap of logging information (which prints to your debuggers Output window).

I''m guessing that''s what''s in the Developer Runtime (i.e. Debug and Release builds). The Home User install just includes the same stuff as the Release (or Retail) version of the Developer runtime.

That means, if you already have DirectX installed, you don''t need to download the Developer Runtime, but I found the Debug drivers come in handy sometimes.

codeka.com - Just click it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would just like to add to what Dean Harding said.

At some point during the installation of the sdk it will ask you if you want to install the debug or retail runtime. You should select retail because this will install both debug and retail versions. In Window''s control panel you should find a DirectX icon. This is where you can switch between debug and retail versions of the runtime. Not all of the components have both versions.

The debug version runs slower but is helpful for debugging purposes.

Hmm. Ok, it wasnt really sinking in when there were 2 versions of the runtime(SDK) and one was called "retail"...duh.

Also, i did not know that when you install the retail, you also can choose between running games in debug and retail modes!!

I thank the previous posters for the clarification.

Edited by - GalaxyQuest on September 23, 2001 4:29:40 PM

Um, I don't think the retail installs the debug versions.
I had to install them both. And even then I had to extract the dd3d8d.dll and manually copy it into \winnt\system32

Under bin\dxcontrolpanel\ there's a directx.cpl (control panel applet) that lets you switch between retail and debug for each part of DirectX (You can run debug DirectSound, and retail Graphics, or any combination...) and set the amount of debugging information output.

Now, the applet has all the sub-systems _except DirectShow. Does anyone know how to set the debug information level output for directshow?
[You have to twiddle the registry manually, as every filter sets it's own level of debug output.
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Debug\\
]

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on November 8, 2001 10:55:18 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!