• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Passing Address of Index/Vertex buffer

This topic is 6085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

O.k right now i have an index and vertex buffer that is private data in a class.... I am attempting to pass the address of this structure out of the class so i can temporarily scan through the data to test for mouse selection using this simple code

LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER8* Square::ReturnVertexData()
{
	return &VertexData;
}

then i use a variable in the calling function defined as this

LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER8 *VertexBuf;
VertexBuf=PickObject.ReturnVertexData();

the problem seems to appear when i want to unlock,lock or release these objects

VertexBuf->Lock( 0,0,(BYTE**)&pVertices, 0 );

the compiler says "left of '->Lock' must point to class/struct/union" which usually means I dont have the correct level of indirection associated with the variable my main question is How do i get around this? any ideas would be appreciated...this is starting to drive me crazy! Thanks for any help Mark Edited by - MarkO on September 21, 2001 8:55:34 PM

Advertisement
Just goes to show what staring at a screen for too long will do
That seems to have cleared the problem up..at least no errors or crashes yet
Anyways I had tried something similiar earlier with one of my more complex objects and i got a major crash windows exception which usually happens when i overun memory I am not supposed to be in
Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!