Games.... uhhh help!

Started by
18 comments, last by d3s3rtf 22 years, 6 months ago
Starting out with Quake3 mods is a good idea, and it makes FPS shooter-coding significantly easier to start with a mod. You''d need modelling and level building skills, though.

Also, programming skills so you can understand ID software''s code are obligatory. Otherwise, I wish you good luck, the "start here" link provided above by someone else already says all that is to be said.

Just one question - how do you want to code witzh a broken middle finger? (notices athat hehimself rarely uses that finger...nevermind )
Advertisement
If you want q3a mod specific help and tutorials visit Code3Arena. Here you can find information on what compilers and how you can use them to create your own mod.
Another good source for modding and editing is claudec''s Lair of Q3A.

baumep
baumep
thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have 700 bucks saved up and my parents will be willing to buy books for me... i asked them =)

Desert Fox
Ian Cheshire
my crap website! http://iancheshire_1.tripod.com/wehrmachttrugg.html
FPS's can't be HALF as hard to code a a RPG like Final Fantasy 7. If anything, FPS's are the easiest to make. In fact, the book I bought teaches you how to make an FPS for learning purposes. If RPG's are easier to code than that, then I am glad to say that I will never have trouble making an RPG.

FPS's are only charecters walking around, bullets, AI, and collision detection(and sometimes theres some good graphics..), from what I can see.

Unless, you plan on making Rainbow Six.

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 22, 2001 4:41:38 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
"Only."

It''s a heck of a lot easier to make a 2D sidescroller. Most people start with games like Tetris and various other puzzle games. Text games are also a good idea because they teach you to focus on gameplay first rather than flashy graphics.
If your parents are buying books for you, they probably want some good deals.

Amazon.com is having a 0% to 30% off sale

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days

After reading that you should be able to make acouple text games pretty easily. If you find any books that are like 5/ 10 bucks, when your shopping around, buy them. Its always good to have a reference (of course, the through the table of contents and make sure it doesnt cover all the same stuff as a book you already have..) I bought the book called "The Standard C++ Bible" really cheap one day, and I found myself using it alot when I made text based games.

/////// edit
I went to amazon and found the direct link to the book you should get:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672317664/qid=1001192343/br=1-7/ref=br_lf_b/107-6379502-6802901

Its the fifth edition so its more up to date than the one I have (which had tons of errors, second edition).

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 22, 2001 5:00:49 PM
You guys are the best thanks for your support and info!!!!!!!! I will try to buy those books asap.

on a sad note i just bought an airsoft gun, with shipping it was 25 bucks. i went to pay wit my dads creditcard (with his permission ofcourse.) the total came to 44 bucks????????? that is how much got charged to my dads card and the gun + shipping was 25 im pissed and so is my dad.

Desert Fox
Ian Cheshire
You have to chose standard shipping. You probably asked for air mail. Be careful with that.

What country do you live in?
It asked me to put in the cost of the item and then in another box the price of shipping which i was told was 7 bucks so i did that the next screen said total 25 bucks i clicked finnish and on the lsat page it said 44 bucks charged to creditcard.....
I bought "Sams teach your self C++ in 21" and when it got to pointers it sucked at explaining it, but thats my opinion i like "C++ How to program by dietel & dietel". But Sams does explain functions and stuff better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement