Web game - what language?

Started by
18 comments, last by Pickleninja 12 years, 7 months ago
Also look into JS + WebGL. Browser support is getting more serious, so it is probably worth a try.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Advertisement
I'm kind of suprised by Javascript, it looks like decent programming language and I don't need to have installed anything to run the aplication in a browser, which is big plus.(correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for help guys.

I'm kind of suprised by Javascript, it looks like decent programming language and I don't need to have installed anything to run the aplication in a browser, which is big plus.(correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for help guys.

No you don't have to install anything because it's interpreted by the browser, but it runs in the client side so you should use it only to show stuff, never to control the game in order to avoid easy cheating. I would recommend PHP with javascript to upload what you see every 2 or 3 seconds without having to refresh the page, but having the javascript code doing it for you.

[quote name='MrProper' timestamp='1315602917' post='4859753']
I actually havent seen many multiplayer games in flash if any, but I'll consider this option as well.

I like PHP+Javascript option so far.

Dofus is a good example of a professional flash mmo.

And of course a Java applet is a great option, the must example is Runescape.
[/quote]

>>Plays DOFUS since 2006 and loves you for posting about it <3
For now I think Flash+JavaScript is the best choice for client.
See how many successful social games in Flash, and use JavaScript to call platform API.

But I think HTML5 worth your time to start learning.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

I would definitely say, go with whatever your team has experience with.

You definitely do not want to go straight into a major game with a tech that your team is not familiar with.

Of course the game logic for such a game MUST be on the server-side (to prevent cheats etc), so bear that in mind. This is pretty obvious really.

Consider whether you are going to use server-push or polling to send the info to connected clients. Server-push is more difficult to implement on some platforms (e.g. with Javascript it is not necessarily easy if you don't have (for instance) Websockets).

I would definitely say, go with whatever your team has experience with.

You definitely do not want to go straight into a major game with a tech that your team is not familiar with.

Of course the game logic for such a game MUST be on the server-side (to prevent cheats etc), so bear that in mind. This is pretty obvious really.

Consider whether you are going to use server-push or polling to send the info to connected clients. Server-push is more difficult to implement on some platforms (e.g. with Javascript it is not necessarily easy if you don't have (for instance) Websockets).

I've actually already created most of the game in java, but I found out that java might not be best fit fot this game.

I've never programmed in Javascript before, but so far it looks like it won't be any issue. Yes, I'm bit naive. lol
Been programming in java using pulpcore, hands down one of the best I've ever programed in.

Plus there's a ton of good examples to learn from:

Main: http://www.interactivepulp.com/pulpcore/
Examples: http://www.interactivepulp.com/pulpcore/particles/

-Pickle

Why would it have to be on the server side? Is there a way for people to edit javascript as its being sent to their browser via port 80 or 8080?

Maybe you are talking about predownloaded packages or something. If there is some hax way for people to edit live javascript code I'd like to hear about it.

[quote name='markr' timestamp='1315815488' post='4860591']

Why would it have to be on the server side? Is there a way for people to edit javascript as its being sent to their browser via port 80 or 8080?

Maybe you are talking about predownloaded packages or something. If there is some hax way for people to edit live javascript code I'd like to hear about it.
[/quote]

Google: "edit javascript" ...

Basically the rule goes, anything you don't want modified without your permission should be server side. So if you don't want the player to be able to cheat, have the code that handles that function be server side. ... or implement server side checks.

-pickle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement