• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Storing Depth

This topic is 2355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Everybody,

Working on DFS implementation and mostly reaching to the point when i need to perform lighting pass. Before I start with that just want to make sure that I collect data from previous passes properly. I'm just not very much convenient with depth part.

This is what I do:
1) Create an FBO and bind depth render buffer to it:

glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1, &_depthbuffer);
glBindRenderbufferEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, _depthbuffer);
glRenderbufferStorageEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, _size.X(), _size.Y());
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, _depthbuffer);

2) Create a texture to store depth values:

2.1) glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24, size.X(), size.Y(), 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

2.2) glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB32F_ARB, size.X(), size.Y(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, NULL);

Please advise which would be the best format for storing depth component

3) Bind depth texture to FBO by
glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture->GetNativeID(), 0);

4) Then I render the depth using following shader:
uniform float depth;

// vertex shader

void main (void)
{
gl_Position = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
depth = gl_Position.z;
gl_Position = gl_ProjectionMatrix * gl_Position;
}

// pixel shader

void main (void)
{
gl_FragColor = vec4(depth, depth, depth, 1.0);
}

I'd appreciate if you could tell me what is wrong and what is done extra here. First, I have a feeling that I maintain two placeholders for the depth, one as a part of depth render buffer, and the second is my depth texture. Should I get rid of one of those? Second suspicion is the depth texture format. Which one should i use DEPTH_COMPONENT_24 or RGBA32F or something else? Third question would be how to actually write the depth value in the shader? I need to write a high precision float number into a pixel, not sure how it would work. Should i perform bitwize operations to split the float value into .r .g .b .a channels of gl_FragColor?

Thank you,
Ruben

P.S. I might also be missing depth /= farClipPlane, am I?

Advertisement

Third question would be how to actually write the depth value in the shader?

gl_FragDepth = "your value as float";

by default gl_FragDepth = gl_FragCoord.z;

Second suspicion is the depth texture format. Which one should i use DEPTH_COMPONENT_24 or RGBA32F or something else? 

You can't use GL_RGB32F to depth buffer. So, the answer is DEPTH_COMPONENT_24...

// vertex shader

void main (void)
{
gl_Position = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
depth = gl_Position.z;
gl_Position = gl_ProjectionMatrix * gl_Position;
}

Don't forget that if you want to put depth into fragment shader's gl_FragDepth it clamps in range (... see glDepthClamp parameters). So you what to do...

[font="Arial"]
In my current sample i keep gl_FragDepth calculation as it is by default and just write "my depth" texture into a separate FBO attached texture. This way I can keep depth testing more precise close to camera and at the same time even precision when reconstructing position from depth.

Some more details what I do currently:

Initialization:

// Create Diffuse Texture
glGenTextures(1, &_dfsDiffuseTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, _dfsDiffuseTexture);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, size.X(), size.Y(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

// Create Depth Texture
glGenTextures(1, &_dfsDepthTexture)
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, _dfsDepthTexture);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, size.X(), size.Y(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

// Create FBO
glGenFramebuffersEXT(1, &_fbo);
glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, _fbo);

// Create Depth Render Buffer
glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1, &_depthbuffer);
glBindRenderbufferEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, _depthbuffer);
glRenderbufferStorageEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, _size.X(), _size.Y());
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, _depthbuffer);

During Render:

glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, _fbo);
glViewport(0, 0, _size.X(), _size.Y());

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT + slot, GL_TEXTURE_2D, _dfsDepthTexture, 0);
RenderObjects();

glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT + slot, GL_TEXTURE_2D, _dfsDiffuseTexture, 0);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
RenderObjects();

// etc...

Shader used to construct depth:

varying float depth;

void main (void)
{
gl_Position = gl_ProjectionMatrix * gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
vec4 pos = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
depth = pos.z;
}

uniform float FarClipPlane;
varying float depth;

void main (void)
{
float d = depth / FarClipPlane;
gl_FragColor = vec4(d, d, d, 1.0);
}

As you see a keep a separate texture to store depth. So my question is should I do that or just try to store depth value into depth render buffer?

If I decide to keep depth texture separate, what would be the way to increase depth precision on that _dfsDepthTexture? How to define the texture, how to write it in the shader, and how to read from it in combine step?[color=#010001][size=2]
[/font]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement