• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
laurens

Work For Hire as a non-legal entity

This topic is 2535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

As many others before me I am trying to develop a marketable game. I have recently gotten to the point where I was confident enough to get an artist on-board which I am paying a one-time fee for the requested assets. I am, at this point, not a legal entity for the simple fact that if this endeavour goes belly-up, I won't have a load of paper and registration fees to deal with. Would any assets created by the artist still be classified as "work made for hire" thus me being the legal author? What if this game does get released and the original author decides to charge me royalties? I am from the Netherlands, if legislation here is much different from the US Copyright Act.

Thanks for you input!

Advertisement
I am, at this point, not a legal entity

Are you saying you are not a registered business? Are you saying you are an illegal alien in the Netherlands? Are you saying you have no contract with your project contributor(s)?

Hi Tom, thanks for the fast response!

I am saying that I am not a registered business and do not have a contract with said artist.

If you do not have a contract, you do not own any rights to the work the artist did. It's not work for hire.

It has nothing to do with whether you are a business entity or not. It has to do with not having a contract. You should get something in writing with the artist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!