OpenGL Book

Started by
10 comments, last by Monkan 12 years, 7 months ago
Which book i should prefer for game engine programming for opengl??
Thanks in Advance
Advertisement

Which book i should prefer for game engine programming for opengl??
Thanks in Advance

If you're just after an OpenGL reference, you can do much worse than starting out with the red book.
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book/

(hint - there are plenty more documentation links at that site)

If you're after a book on game engine programming, then whether it's using opengl or another graphics library makes little difference.
I had a module last year on opengl. I bought the red book and my mate bought the blue book(OpenGL SuperBible) and we both ended up using the red book. I highly reccomend it everything was very clearly explained and its a great reference. The blue book was really poor in my opinion.
Hey what about "Game Engine Architecture" Book. Is it good????
I bought Game Engine Architecture a few weeks ago and it is really good especially if you are studying game development at college / university. I really recommend it.
The textbook my university uses for their computer graphics class is Interactive Computer Graphics 6th edition. It's like OpenGL 3.0 or something so not really the newest of books, but it should be good enough.

If you're just after an OpenGL reference, you can do much worse than starting out with the red book.
[/quote]

I had a module last year on opengl. I bought the red book and my mate bought the blue book(OpenGL SuperBible) and we both ended up using the red book. I highly reccomend it everything was very clearly explained and its a great reference. The blue book was really poor in my opinion.
[/quote]

The red book will teach you deprecated OpenGL which is why it is a lot easier than modern OpenGL 3/4. If you want to learn modern OpenGL 3+, then the Superbible 5th edition (blue book) is the way to go. Personally, I'd stay away from the red book unless you will be working with legacy OpenGL or if you want to be able to run OpenGL applications on older hardware.
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]what will be best about contents in superbible 5 (blue book) of opengl??
I want to focus on game engine programming as it is best game programming practices.[/font]
red book 7th edition is for version 3.0 and 3.1 but yeah I guess your right. I still say buy the red book though.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]what will be best about contents in superbible 5 (blue book) of opengl??[/font]

The red book has some OpenGL 3 stuff in it but it will be hard to learn from it because you need to differentiate what's deprecated and what's not. Most of the pages are all about deprecated functions and most of the examples use them. You should read the Amazon reviews for yourself to see what people are saying about it or browse through it in a bookstore.

Here's another way to look at it but it's not quite an analogous situation: if you were learning DirectX instead, would you rather learn an old version of DirectX, like say version 9, or would you rather learn DirectX 10 and 11? The Superbible will focus on OpenGL 3 so you don't have to worry about unlearning the deprecated stuff later. Another benefit of learning modern OpenGL is that versions 3 and 4 are very similar to OpenGL ES 2.0 so you could easily make 3D applications for mobile devices as well. It all depends what you want to do. I'm sure some people get along just fine with OpenGL 2 and DirectX 9.
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement