• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Navigation Meshes - Dealing with new obstacles

This topic is 2354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I was reading about navigation meshes / their advantages over waypoints.
I have a question about how I should go about dealing with the possibility of new obstacles appearing. (This is a 2D game, where all the collidable objects will be quadrilaterals or ellipses.) Should I:

1. Somehow automagically generate my navigation mesh from the objects in a level. Then simply re-generate when a new obstacle appears.

2. Manually create navigation meshes for levels, but somehow modify my A* algorithm to pathfind around new obstacles.

Whichever way, I could use some direction on implementation. Are there any algorithms for navigation mesh generation? Or, how would one modify the A* algorithm for a new rock that appears in the level?

Advertisement
I recommend reading through the back-posts at Digesting Duck. The blog is by the creator of the Recast/Detour library, and he is in the process of tackling dynamic obstacle avoidance for Detour. The Recast and Detour libraries themselves are excellent for navigation-mesh path planning, and the dynamic avoidance code that the author is working on is included in the source.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement