Intro of an up-and-coming game programmer!

Started by
6 comments, last by rancineb 12 years, 7 months ago
Hello all! Figured I'd introduce myself here. I'm learning to program and am having a blast doing so. I started out teaching myself C#/XNA but it was a frustratingly slow process with no direction and no one to ask questions (many forums were VERY unfriendly toward beginners). I am now enrolled in courses at Game Institute (www.gameinstitute.com) where I am taking C++ courses (and future courses that'll use C++). I look forward to being a part of this game development community and helping others :).

I can see how the concepts I am learning in C++ can be carried over into other languages (even if they are maybe handled in a different way) so I am waiting for the day when I am ready to jump back into C# again. I'm not really sure how I'd rate myself as a programmer...maybe a little above a beginner but not quite at an intermediate level. But I'm learning!

Ulfhedhin

Advertisement
Heya welcome to the community!
I don't know anything about C# or XNA but welcome and I wish you good luck on your game prospects!
edit: I thought about it, and I wanted to post this too:
I really appreciated people who want to be involved in the community more than people that just drop in to ask a quick question never to be seen again.
I asked many questions on these forums for years, and I try to help as many people as I can, I hope you do the same!
=)
Thanks for the warm welcome :).

I like helping out. Mainly because I know what it is like to stumble about in the dark and that everyone has to start somewhere. I guess its just in my nature. It may be a little while before I'm able to help in any advanced areas but I'll get there :).

Ulfhedhin

Welcome to the forums! This has been a great site that has helped me a bunch, with questions I have asked and have been answered and with others' questions. There may be occasionally harsh remarks regardless of where you go, but don't get discouraged. The community here is a rather encouraging one. If you are attempting large projects, they may point you to smaller ones first so you can, in the long run, accomplish your goal.
Yea, that was my problem when I started out. I'd learn just a little bit. Next thing I knew, I was trying to tackle ambitious (well, ambitious for me!) projects. So I learned that I just have to keep plugging away and eventually I'd figure it out.

Ulfhedhin

Welcome! Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about C++ game development.
So far I've found this site to be very helpful with plenty of people willing to answer questions and provide their input. Like Dragon mentioned, the first piece of advice that everyone gives is to start small. Text based games, then simple 2D games, side scroll, then 3D. I'm learning C# now but just getting started. I've had programming experience years ago, but it's been awhile so I want to start simple.

Good luck with the class, hope it works out. C++ is a difficult language to learn, but very powerful. I hope the class focuses on the language so you know the basics rather then jumping into game development and risk developing bad habits. Keep us updated on how it goes.
I just took a look at the Game Institute website. I assume the C++ course you're taking is "C++ Programming for Game Developers - Module 1". From the description, this looks like the ideal course to get started with C++ and learning the basics. I think after you take that, and Module 2, you'll be on your way. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement