Moving from Game Maker

Started by
1 comment, last by Waterlimon 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I have been using Game Maker and GML for a couple of years now and im thinking about learning a "better" language.
I have tried c++, python, vb.net, c, c# and java ( I know the basics of all those languages ) but I dont know what language I should choose. I want an easy language that I can quickly learn.
I have read that BASIC is an easy language that many people have started with but it doesnt seems to be supported or used any more.
My main goal is to create GAMES and I want to create my own engine.
Advertisement
I would suggest a language that is very easy to learn AND forviging when you make errors. I started with c++ which was a bad choice for me. I would suggest c# or python, however in the end it doesn't matter so much.

If you go the c# route, you could choose XNA which has a big community and tons of online code, examples and existing games.
If you go the python route, there is pygame, though I have never tried it, so I can't tell you about it's quality. There seem to be thousands of projects available.

No matter which language you choose, you will need to develop certain skills (and preferably several programming methodologies) that apply to most languages. You can do this by reading books, going to university and ofcourse by visiting gdnet ;)

The following is my own opinion and might differ from alot of users on this forum, I don't want to start a flamewar but instead give advice which I wish I had listened to when I started programming ;)
I would suggest to not got the c++ route: in my opinion the language is way too complicated to be picked for learning programming, you can do so much wrong and so little right and it takes decades to truly understand that language (if it's even possible to, I don't know). Most of the time I find myself working on some minor detail (oh snap, you want to display non ascii characters, however most libraries work with std::string / const char*) , hunting down annoying access violations or burning in the windows dll hell. There can also be inconsistencies during building, not being allowed to export templates (in a standard way) and so much more annoying [insert your favourite swear word] that just distracts you from your goal: Creating a game.
Inb4makegamesnotengines

Propably Java,C++ or maybe C# as i think theyre pretty common,so theres lots of resources.

Im with c++ because it doesnt do stuff i dont know about, but java or c# are propably better if you want to make something without trying to understand that line of 5 weird syntax thingies that are somehow related to pointers :3

I suggest java cuz it seems more crossplatformish than c#

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement