[ Visual Studio ( Express ) ] C++ Intellisense?

Started by
14 comments, last by marvel_magnum 12 years, 3 months ago
This is just a quick question as i find it rather weird.
I'm coming from C# ( using Visual Studio C# Express 2010 ) where the Intellisense is just amazing!
It lists all possible fields and methods ect ect.

Recently due to my school I'v been moving into C++ and I'v noticed the Intellisense for it is mostly none existence.
Is it some setting I'm missing or is it just lack of it period?

I know C++ is a rather ( REALLY ) complex language so It might be just that?
But I was curious If it's a setting or if it's just lack of it :)

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
make sure you are working on a standard native C++ project.. in Visual Studio 2010, Intellisense is off for managed C++ projects.

Having said that, VS 2010 C++ Intellisense isn't on par with C#.

The solution for most "pro" is using Visual Studio Professional and a plugin named Visual AssistX that is pretty awesome and brings amazing intellisense, additional coloring and other features to C++.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Yes It's native C++ :D ( with pointers and all ... )
With intellisense it is quite buggy in Visual C++, as you say it is perfect in C# and moving to the C++ it can seem broken and poor in comparison.

As you have intellisense on, it is no guarantee it will work 100% properly as sometimes the database that generates the auto-completion can get broken and corrupted whilst you are working with Visual C++. So I would recommend you if that happens, close Visual Studio. Delete your *.ncb file (in Visual Studio 2008), or *.sdf file (for VS 2010 if my recollection is correct!), the db files mentioned are noticeable as they are so huge (can be well over 60MB depending on project size and library dependencies); these files are the databases that hold all the auto-complete intellisense data. Once you have done that restart Visual studio with the project you are working on. Do not use it, as you allow VS to rebuild the database. It will show in a message at the bottom of the program that intellisense is being built, if you do anything, even edit code, you could easily corrupt it again. When that process is complete, intellisense should be okay to use. I found it can be flaky for large projects especially with VS2008, but it works way better for VS2010. As you are using VS2010, I guess you have enabled Intellisense; so remember what to do if it starts breaking down again.
Dave 'Kit' Wilson - Reliant Code
As said above Intellisense performs quite bad when using C++, especially if your solutions/projects grow larger. At my workplace we reached the point, where the "Go to Definition" etc commands either took minutes to reslove (and that often wrong) or just completely stopped working.

As Kunos said the solution is to use the Visual Assist X Plugin from http://www.wholetomato.com/ It's not free, but IMO the 50$ you spend for a personal or academic license is well worth spending.
You can't use VAX with the Express edition. Visual Studio only gives you plug-in support with the paid versions.

If you're in school, you might be able to get a copy of the full version of Visual Studio for free through MSDNAA or Dreamspark. But otherwise it's rather expensive.
I second using Visual Assist X. Its amazing and brings a lot to the table. Only downside is you have to have a Pro version of Visual Studio which is expensive.
dont forget to use: ALT + Right Arrow to bring up intelisense.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm not sure if this works with Express, but it does in Pro. Look under the Project menu or Right click on the project name under the Solution Explorer. Choose Rescan Solution. This will cause Intellisence to go over everything. This usually is enough to kick start it if it stops working.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Since they added this to VC 2010, this has managed to fix any problems I've been having. I haven't needed to go back and delete the ncb's like in 2005 or 2008.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

[color="#1c2837"] [color="#1c2837"]Since they added this to VC 2010, this has managed to fix any problems I've been having.

Yeah rescan usually fixes any of my intellesence problems

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement