OpenGL is missing functions

Started by
1 comment, last by sprite_hound 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm learning OpenGL. I assumed this would be the best section to post this thread, because many games are made in OpenGL. There's no place to post this in my other forum, so yeah, I came here.

Anyways, here's the problem. I first off do not have glut.h I was first following some guy's tutorial, but quit because of missing functions(this video was from 2007). Then, I moved on to XoaX's video, and at first, I was missing glut.h, so I replaced it with

#include <gl/GL.h>
#include <gl/GLU.h>

Still, there were missing functions. I then opened a book I got, and turned to a random page, with a OpenGL function, and tried it, and it wasn't there. The thing is, is that he's using the same compiler, and IDE, and OS as me. I don't understand why it's not working. Not only that, but he didn't tell us to download any SDK, or anything at all.

Thanks for your help you guys.
Advertisement
If youre on windows, you need to use an external library, like GLEW, GLee, or GL3W to get access to openGL functions from any version above 1.1
Well, if it's using glut and you don't have or haven't included the glut header then it's not going to work... (glu is not glut).

I think freeglut is to be recommended instead of plain glut nowadays: http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement