"Frontiers" - sci fi action rpg

Started by
11 comments, last by Branmatt 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi everyone

I was just pointed towards these forums, hence I wanted to introduce myself and my project.
I started with learning coding about a year ago when I got unity and have since used much of my spare time to work on my first game. A science fiction RPG where I'd like to experiment with some ideas I've always had. Namely an open world with RTS elements and procedurally generated storyline content which will be different every time you play.

So far, I've been doing everything myself from code to graphics to sound and it's been a very interesting and fun experience and a great learning and experimenting environment. I'm always looking for feedback so I thought I'd post my latest gameplay video here as well. Hope you enjoy.

[media]
[/media]
Advertisement
This pretty much blew my mind. So you created all the models, terrains, characters and did the animation? In a year? For a one-man-project this looks very impressive and awesome! I'd love to play it. If and when are you planning to release it? Also, I'd like to hear more about the procedural story. How are you handling that? Multiple choices or some other means for the player to guide the story?

Keep up the fantastic work!
Thanks!

Yeah, I created all of it alone so far. Started with learning programming about 12 months ago - 3D isn't new to me since I have a background in film, but I had to learn different things to do gameready modelling that works well within the engine.
As for the release - I have zero idea to be honest. Didn't think that far ahead. This has just been something that's been in my head for a long time and I started it. I expect to be working on it for quite a while seeing I'm still at the beginning. I also haven't decided how or where I'm going to release it - I'll wait to see how far I get and how good it gets.

The idea is that there's an RTS overlay over the entire game: The player will build up his own faction, hire crew, buy ships and eventually conquer, buy or diplomatically reign the entire game-universe consisting of several planets ruled by 3 or 4 different factions. That's what's driving you, to achive that goal. The way there is completely open and varies from play to play.
You'll be able to fly around with your ship Wing Commander style as well as land on each planet in the style you see in the video above, hire crewmembers, build up a fleet, wage wars, help others etc. You can talk to every character you meet and they will progress the "story" forward by chosing one out of many many possible things that could happen. Some are very short stories in the manner of simple quests, others are longer and have direct influences over many of the variables that shape and control each of the planet, each of the factions and the universe as a whole. A bit like "making the story up on the go".
So there's a script that can continuously pick new storylines and ways the people, factions and planets will behave.

Something along those lines.
Holy Cow! This looks amazing. I love the body language of the characters during the conversations. The healing system looks really unique. I love that you gave the player a stealth options. Are you going to put this on the XBLA?
Damn, keep up the good work!
Very good job!

I think your background in film pretty much made the game, and seeing as that's how most games are heading, you seem to have a pretty big advantage over the rest of us geeks :P It also pretty much confirms the idea that in order to be a successful indie developer you need to be multi-disciplined.

I think your background in film pretty much made the game, and seeing as that's how most games are heading ...

That heading sucks. I personally think that's the wrong way of doing things. Games should be about things movies CAN'T do rather than copying what they can, with just player controlling the action.
...The idea is that there's an RTS overlay over the entire game: The player will build up his own faction, hire crew, buy ships and eventually conquer, buy or diplomatically reign the entire game-universe consisting of several planets ruled by 3 or 4 different factions. That's what's driving you, to achive that goal. The way there is completely open and varies from play to play.
You'll be able to fly around with your ship Wing Commander style as well as land on each planet in the style you see in the video above, hire crewmembers, build up a fleet, wage wars, help others etc. You can talk to every character you meet and they will progress the "story" forward by chosing one out of many many possible things that could happen. Some are very short stories in the manner of simple quests, others are longer and have direct influences over many of the variables that shape and control each of the planet, each of the factions and the universe as a whole. A bit like "making the story up on the go".
So there's a script that can continuously pick new storylines and ways the people, factions and planets will behave.

Something along those lines.

That sounds pretty awesome, please continue to post your progress. I wanna keep my eye on this. :D
I'd agree with that. I also don't like that many games try to be films. I love filmic presentations, but I'd say the power of games is to give a player more then just following a (mostly poorly written, unfortunately) linear script with some shooting in between. A game needs to be about it's gameplay first of all. I'm also no fan of long cutscenes that take away any control.

Hence I'll be trying to add in proper strategic gameplay decisions that drive the players action, then try to present that as filmic as I can get it. Maybe it'll work. Maybe not. I know when I'm done. :)

[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Are you going to put this on the XBLA? [/quote]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]I have no idea if, when or where I'm going to get this published. I guess I'll depend on someone to pick it up once it's done. Haven't thought that far yet really. It started as a pure hobby project afterall.
Slight graphical update. (And yes, the minimap is a test placeholder). :)

spacepub01.jpg

spacepub02.jpg

spacepub03.jpg

spacepub04.jpg

spacepub05.jpg

spacepub06.jpg

spacepub07.jpg

spacepub08.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement