• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mathwiz7

Any suggestion for the correct game engine

This topic is 2597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a good programmer in C++ / ASM, and recently Ive decided to learn game coding.
I was looking at "Esenthel" game engine to start code my mini fps game with it.
However, it looks like an engine suited for MMO more than FPS.

So i would like to know any suggestion from you guys :D
I am searching an engine with these features:
  1. World editor.
  2. C++ support (No need engine source code).
  3. No scripting language (That way the engine relies fully on C++).
  4. A good graphic quality comparing to Unity engine.
  5. Suit more for an FPS game
  6. Doesn't have to be free at all (But atleast not million dollars like Unreal Engine).

I really liked Unity graphic but the badside is it gives only scripting access and not C++, same for UDK engine.

Thank you.

Advertisement
1. Performance.
2. A good reverse engineer can dump the classes and members offset and easily hack my game. (Using the script engine)
3. I like C++ more than high level languages.

1. Performance.
2. A good reverse engineer can dump the classes and members offset and easily hack my game. (Using the script engine)

1. Its irrelevant, you never script performance critical parts anyway
2. A good reverse engineer can do the same for native code, if the game is properly written it shouldn't matter what the player does with the client.
3. Ow.

I can't really think of a single modern engine that doesn't support scripting.

2. Sorry but you should really look up what happened with Unreal Engine. Reverse Engineers can dump a full class with members name and offset, which just made the reversing job of months into 5 minutes.

CryEngine is a million dollar for commercial license just like Unreal Engine :\

2. Sorry but you should really look up what happened with Unreal Engine. Reverse Engineers can dump a full class with members name and offset, which just made the reversing job of months into 5 minutes.

You're right. That's why nobody uses unreal anymore...

By saying that you think engines that utilize scripting engines are bad, you are essentially saying that hundreds of people with doctorates and decades of experience know less than you. There are a lot of good reasons for using scripting languages to supplement your engine; you will find that making yourself aware of these things will save you time and money.

In addition to all the various comments in this thread, I have to question, what exactly is so special about your "secret sauce"? Is your FPS a game about cracking back PINs or something? Besides that fact, why not simply obfuscate your scripts, or more accurately, identify the most secure pieces and protect them accordingly.

1. Performance.

All three horrible reasons for any pragmatic programmer, but looking beyond that, I don't think there is any game engine that suits those requirements you listed in your OP - there simply is no demand for game engines without scripting support; rather the opposite.

Two of the industry's biggest are doing just fine relying heavily on scripting - why can't you?

ya if you end up with a project that make a profit of some dozens of millions then ya, it's actually a million dollar for a license biggrin.gif

seriously... learn to do your researches otherwise you're just trolling.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!