• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 [DX11] Constant buffers per material or per shader

This topic is 2351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most of my shaders have a constant buffer that holds material related constants.
Now I have two options:
-Create a constant buffer per shader, and update it using Map() every time I switch between materials.
-Create a constant buffer per material and only update it once when the material is loaded since the parameters of materials are constant, so when I change materials I only have to bind the current material constant buffer to the pipeline.

So basically I have to choose between updating a constant buffer multiple times between frames or use many constant buffers? Since constant buffers are small (less than 128-bytes per buffer) I don't think that I will run out of memory, on the other hand, since constant buffers are small mapping them is probably fast?

What's your opinion? And how do you do it?

Advertisement
I'd go with creating one material-related cbuffer per material.

If cbuffers are implemented as a proper GPU resource, residing in GPU-RAM, then you really don't want to be mapping the same object more than once per frame.

Not specific to cbuffers here, but generally speaking about GPU-RAM allocated resources, let's say you've got the following situation:
1) Map Resource "A", write data [X] into it, Unmap it.
2) Issue some draw commands that require Resource A.
3) Map Resource "A", write data [Y] into it, Unmap it.
4) Issue some draw commands that require Resource A.

i.e. The draw commands at (2) require the data from (1)/[X], and the commands at (4) require the data from (3)/[Y].

By the time that you reach step (3), the GPU almost certainly hasn't yet finished step (2) -- the GPU could well still be processing the commands that you sent it last frame.
This means that the data [X] that you uploaded in (1) can't be overwritten yet, as the commands from step (2) that are dependant on that data are still pending.
So, during step (3), the driver has to allocate an eniterly new resource to store [Y], but it also pretend to you that it's actually the same "A" resource you've been using all along! i.e. The resource "A" is now managing two different RAM allocations: one containing [X] and one containing [Y], and as you map/unmap and as commands are completed by the GPU, the driver has to remember to free up these extra allocations.

These kinds of internal implementation details are optimised by choosing the correct "usage" flags. For example, if you did have a resource which you wanted to constantly update like this, you should mark it as "dynamic". Alternatively, if you've got data which you can set just once upon load, then you should mark it as static/immutable/CPU-write-only/GPU-read-only etc... These details will greatly help the driver in choosing the best allocation strategies for your resource.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Matt_Aufderheide
      I am trying to draw a screen-aligned quad with arbitrary sizes.

currently I just send 4 vertices to the vertex shader like so:
      pDevCon->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLESTRIP);
      pDevCon->Draw(4, 0);

then in the vertex shader I am doing this:
      float4 main(uint vI : SV_VERTEXID) : SV_POSITION
      {
       float2 texcoord = float2(vI & 1, vI >> 1);
      return float4((texcoord.x - 0.5f) * 2, -(texcoord.y - 0.5f) * 2, 0, 1);
      }
      that gets me a screen-sized quad...ok .. what's the correct way to get arbitrary sizes?...I have messed around with various numbers, but I think I don't quite get something in these relationships.
      one thing I tried is: 

float4 quad = float4((texcoord.x - (xpos/screensizex)) * (width/screensizex), -(texcoord.y - (ypos/screensizey)) * (height/screensizey), 0, 1);

.. where xpos and ypos is number of pixels from upper right corner..width and height is the desired size of the quad in pixels
      this gets me somewhat close, but not right.. a bit too small..so I'm missing something ..any ideas?

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,
      I've been trying to implement a gaussian blur recently, it would seem the best way to achieve this is by running a bur on one axis, then another blur on the other axis.
      I think I have successfully implemented the blur part per axis, but now I have to blend both calls with a proper BlendState, at least I think this is where my problem is.
      Here are my passes:
      RasterizerState DisableCulling { CullMode = BACK; }; BlendState AdditiveBlend { BlendEnable[0] = TRUE; BlendEnable[1] = TRUE; SrcBlend[0] = SRC_COLOR; BlendOp[0] = ADD; BlendOp[1] = ADD; SrcBlend[1] = SRC_COLOR; }; technique11 BlockTech { pass P0 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurV())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); SetBlendState(AdditiveBlend, float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0), 0xffffffff); } pass P1 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurH())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); } }  
      D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc; mBlockEffect->mTech->GetDesc( &techDesc ); for(UINT p = 0; p < techDesc.Passes; ++p) { deviceContext->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 2, bufferPointers, stride, offset); deviceContext->IASetIndexBuffer(mIB, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0); mBlockEffect->mTech->GetPassByIndex(p)->Apply(0, deviceContext); deviceContext->DrawIndexedInstanced(36, mNumberOfActiveCubes, 0, 0, 0); } No blur

PS_BlurV

PS_BlurH

P0 + P1

As you can see, it does not work at all.
      I think the issue is in my BlendState, but I am not sure.
      I've seen many articles going with the render to texture approach, but I've also seen articles where both shaders were called in succession, and it worked just fine, I'd like to go with that second approach. Unfortunately, the code was in OpenGL where the syntax for running multiple passes is quite different (http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/efficient-gaussian-blur-with-linear-sampling/). So I need some help doing the same in HLSL :-)

Thanks!
    • By Fleshbits
      Back around 2006 I spent a good year or two reading books, articles on this site, and gobbling up everything game dev related I could. I started an engine in DX10 and got through basics. I eventually gave up, because I couldn't do the harder things.
      Now, my C++ is 12 years stronger, my mind is trained better, and I am thinking of giving it another go.
      Alot has changed. There is no more SDK, there is evidently a DX Toolkit, XNA died, all the sweet sites I used to go to are 404, and google searches all point to Unity and Unreal.
      I plainly don't like Unity or Unreal, but might learn them for reference.
      So, what is the current path? Does everyone pretty much use the DX Toolkit? Should I start there? I also read that DX12 is just expert level DX11, so I guess I am going DX 11.
      Is there a current and up to date list of learning resources anywhere?  I am about tired of 404s..

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,

I've been trying to implement a basic gaussian blur using the gaussian formula, and here is what it looks like so far:
      float gaussian(float x, float sigma)
      {
          float pi = 3.14159;
          float sigma_square = sigma * sigma;
          float a = 1 / sqrt(2 * pi*sigma_square);
          float b = exp(-((x*x) / (2 * sigma_square)));
          return a * b;
      }
      My problem is that I don't quite know what sigma should be.
      It seems that if I provide a random value for sigma, weights in my kernel won't add up to 1.
      So I ended up calling my gaussian function with sigma == 1, which gives me weights adding up to 1, but also a very subtle blur.
      Here is what my kernel looks like with sigma == 1
              [0]    0.0033238872995488885    
              [1]    0.023804742479357766    
              [2]    0.09713820127276819    
              [3]    0.22585307043511713    
              [4]    0.29920669915475656    
              [5]    0.22585307043511713    
              [6]    0.09713820127276819    
              [7]    0.023804742479357766    
              [8]    0.0033238872995488885    

I would have liked it to be more "rounded" at the top, or a better spread instead of wasting [0], [1], [2] with values bellow 0.1.
      Based on my experiments, the key to this is to provide a different sigma, but if I do, my kernel values no longer adds up to 1, which results to a darker blur.
      I've found this post 
      ... which helped me a bit, but I am really confused with this the part where he divide sigma by 3.
      Can someone please explain how sigma works? How is it related to my kernel size, how can I balance my weights with different sigmas, ect...

• By mc_wiggly_fingers
      Is it possible to asynchronously create a Texture2D using DirectX11?
      I have a native Unity plugin that downloads 8K textures from a server and displays them to the user for a VR application. This works well, but there's a large frame drop when calling CreateTexture2D. To remedy this, I've tried creating a separate thread that creates the texture, but the frame drop is still present.
      Is there anything else that I could do to prevent that frame drop from occuring?
  • Advertisement