• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
woger

Level editor

This topic is 2645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi
[font="Calibri"]I'm looking at attempting to create images you'd see in a game - some 3D elements like lighting etc
[/font] [font="Calibri"]My plan is to use images like that to spruce up the web side of an "old school" MOO - so that they really have some impact.[/font] I'm after advice on what is the best tool to use to do that - I don't have any 3D experience but I do have access to Studio Max. Is that the best tool, or are level editors a better option?[font="Calibri"]
I'm sure there could be loads of options, but I'd just like some advice on a relatively simple, effective tool to produce something along the lines of the attached file would be really appreciated.

[attachment=5402:level.jpg][/font][font="Calibri"]W[/font][font="Calibri"]oger
[/font]

Advertisement
I think the easier thing to do would be to use a level editor, unless know 3D studio, or blender, or etc the learning curve is going to be pretty steep.

But another question comes up, if you were to use a level editor from another game, for instance UDK. Is it legal to use a in game screen shot for a for another for profit game?
I am not a lawyer but I don't think it is.

My advice here is to use one of the many 2d editors available, and work on 2d games. You can use a 2d editor to build 3d games, you will just be using it for the top down layout of each level.

When you are more experienced you can create your own 3d editor. What these mostly consist of is importers for models made in external applications and a UI for putting them together. You can still continue to build levels in a top down fashion, and will be building the 2d interiors of buildings and other things elsewhere; your editor will just be used to piece the level together, lay down the AI navmesh, and things like that.

My advice here is to use one of the many 2d editors available, and work on 2d games. You can use a 2d editor to build 3d games, you will just be using it for the top down layout of each level.

Thanks...would you have any specific suggestions for editors? The images I want to create just need to have a bit more life to them, which I felt my come from 3D applications or editors. Nothing I'd be producing would be for sale. Might be used in a school, but that's all.

Thanks...would you have any specific suggestions for editors? The images I want to create just need to have a bit more life to them, which I felt my come from 3D applications or editors. Nothing I'd be producing would be for sale. Might be used in a school, but that's all.

You should check out Inkscape you can draw sudo 3d objects and texture them etc.
And its free.

[quote name='speciesUnknown' timestamp='1315934978' post='4861177']

[/quote]

You could check out gleed2dfor a 2d level editor. it creates an xml file that lays out your world, your program just has to parse it. I used tinyxml to parse it for my world. there are some nice tutorial videos out for it as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!