• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JDX_John

[web] Has anyone used Google Native Client?

This topic is 2532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This seems to be promoted as an alternative to browser plugins, a way to write native code for the browser. I wondered if anyone has played with it or investigated much? I was particularly interested in how much you'd have to hack exist code to make it fit into NaCl. Say you have an app using a 3D engine or D3D/GL - is it a mighty rewrite?

Advertisement
Its supposed to be relatively straight-forward, however I believe there's no support for inline assembly. Assembly intrinsics for SIMD are supported however, IIRC, so you could port any legacy assembly or SIMD code and still work.

There are a number of security features in place that you have to be mindful of, however -- for example the compiler restricts alignment so that it can better detect certain kinds of attacks or overflow issues, and it disallows self-modifying code for similar reasons.

Also, I believe the graphics API is OpenGL|ES-based, so its not a 1-to-1 port from OpenGL, nor is Direct3D possible last I had heard.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!