• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pyabo

finding complementary colors?

This topic is 6089 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Color theory question... Is there a formula for finding complementary colors in numeric RGB color space? Specifically, 24-bit RGB color. I have this color wheel... and it is laid out where complementary colors are opposite each other. It''s handy for finding a good color scheme for web pages, etc. But how do I determine what these colors are numerically? For instance, say I have the color value #FFA055 that I like a lot (no idea what that is)... is there a way to easily determine its compliment? Also on the wheel it has "split complementary" lines... but those don''t look quite so good.

Advertisement
The color #FFA055 is an RGB specification. Break it into 3 sets of 2 digits each and you get the red, green and blue color components:

R G B
FF A0 55

The numbers are specified in hexadecimal (each digit ranges from 0 - 15, where numbers greater than 9 are represented by the letters A - F; ie A = 10, E = 14, etc). So 'FF' = (15x16 + 15) = 255. 'A0' = 160 and '55' = 85. The individual Red, Green and Blue components can range from 0 - 255 in monitors or 0 - 1 in colorspace. The complement in colorspace is "the other end of the cube". ie ^RGB = (1 - R),(1 - G),(1 - B).

R_c = R / 255 = 1
B_c = B / 255 = 160/255
G_c = G / 255 = 85/255
^R_c = 1 - R_c = 0
^B_c = 1 - B_c = 95/255
^G_c = 1 - G_c = 170/255
^R = ^R_c * 255 = 0
^B = ^B_c * 255 = 95
^G = ^G_c * 255 = 170

So your complement/inverse is (0,95,170) or #0065AA. Note that you can omit the color space calculations and do the inverse as ^R = 255 - R, and so on.

EDIT: My bad, I thought you were looking for the inverse. Color complements are more complex, and I don't know if there's a formula for them but I'll check.

Edited by - Oluseyi on September 22, 2001 7:04:08 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!