• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rannath

D&D combat FSM design

This topic is 2442 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

EDITED:

Originally I was fairly sure that an EFSM was the way to go. But that might have been (READ: was) my urge to do things I've never done before.

Now I'd like to know what you folks think might be the best way to support a combat system that you can define in xml/scripts.

My goal is to be able to support as much of D&D 3.x/4.0/pathfinders (combat) as people want to script.

[font="Arial"]Here's the original design document, I won't be revising it until I've had some feedback on what might be the best way to go about doing it.
[/font][font="Arial"]Edit: here's some pseudo-code, describing the EFSM I was originally going to use.
[/font] Edited by Rannath

Advertisement
If you already want to support scripts and/or XML configuration, why not just make a simple framework wherein the scripts/XML themselves define your state machine(s)? Then you don't have to worry about being so generic that you have to support everything under the sun (which is traditionally not a good fit for FSMs).

If you already want to support scripts and/or XML configuration, why not just make a simple framework wherein the scripts/XML themselves define your state machine(s)? Then you don't have to worry about being so generic that you have to support everything under the sun (which is traditionally not a good fit for FSMs).

If you'll look at the design document that's exactly what I'm doing. What I want to know is if there's some fundamental problem with the idea. (For instance it might be easier to do combat in some other way.) The FSM isn't required, its just the first way I thought to do it.

And at second thought it might just be easier to maintain a list of things you can do on your turn, how long they take, etc. It might be VASTLY more malleable.

Quick search for "online tabletop rpg software" reveals a few open source projects like OpenRPG and RPTools:

http://www.rpgobject...ndex.php?c=orpg

http://rptools.net/

You might take a look at those and see how they do it.

Haven't heard of OpenRPG yet, thanks.
I have heard of RPTools on the other hand, I wouldn't take ques from it even if it wasn't proprietary.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!