• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iggysmartbomb

Want to start design on a game

This topic is 2525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am very inexperienced with all programming, just a little in C++, and made a game or two in BlitzMax, but I have a plan for a game that I would love playing. I realize it would be a stretch, but I need all the help I can get on this. I'm not planning on making the next big success, but I don't really know where to start even for a game for me and my friends. Any suggestions on how I should go about accomplishing this? Maybe books or something to that sort?

In case anyone is wondering, the game is similar to Fire Emblem in that if a character dies it is gone forever, as that is the best feature in an SRPG in my opinion. It has tons of other features to set it apart, although I'm not entirely sure how easy the will be to implement haha.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
First start by creating a design plan. This plan should outline all the features you want in your game when you plan on letting someone else play/test it.

The next step is to break your design plan into chunks that you can accomplish. Keep yourself motivated by tracking what you have done and what you have left to do to reach your goal.

If you have good planning and stay focused on each task at hand you should have a good chance of completing your game.

That's what I was planning on, but I have one specific question... is it viable to use BlitzMax to program a game? Like, say I completed it and it was relatively awesome, would I be able to use a game made through BlitzMax to submit to, say, Steam? Not that I plan to, but I don't want to buy a program I have no business using, you know? If it really is not a good idea to use Blitz, I will buy some books on C++ and begin learning through that, as C++ can be used for stuff other than games and will be helpful anyways.

That's what I was planning on, but I have one specific question... is it viable to use BlitzMax to program a game? Like, say I completed it and it was relatively awesome, would I be able to use a game made through BlitzMax to submit to, say, Steam? Not that I plan to, but I don't want to buy a program I have no business using, you know? If it really is not a good idea to use Blitz, I will buy some books on C++ and begin learning through that, as C++ can be used for stuff other than games and will be helpful anyways.

To be honest, when you're inexperienced in programming and game making, it will be unlikely to complete a game and submit it to portals like steam to make some cash. But, when you see that the game has some unique mood, game play, theme etc. it could be a good idea to rewrite it and sell the second version. Many successful indie games started as freeware(i.e. minecraft demo) or mod(i.e. natural selection) and market the second iteration.
Your first goal should be to get experiences, use BlitzMax or whatever, and start to gain experiences. Many things could be reused once you have finished your first game, like models, textures, sprites, sounds etc.

Good luck :)

That's what I was planning on, but I have one specific question... is it viable to use a camcorder to film a movie? Like, say I completed it and it was relatively awesome, would I be able to use a movie made through a camcorder to submit to, say, Holywood? Not that I plan to, but I don't want to buy a camera I have no business using, you know?
Well, it worked for the blair witch project, but it's not generally used in a professional environment. Plus in a professional environment there's a lot of expenses besides your choice of camera, like staff/wages.

I recommend the opposite approach to the suggestions of planning the whole thing before you start. I suggest you start by getting a dude walking around in an environment, and then once you have that, start to add features one by one.

Could you start out by having a dude walk around a tile based environment, picking up objects? This can be the basis for an RPG, a shooter, and even an RTS game. While you are doing this, a more distinct idea will likely come to you.

Importantly, keep it iterative - you are just starting out, you don't have investors, and you aren't working to a specific plan, so any suggestions pulling off a waterfall style development should be politely ignored.

Idea of the day: learn to parse and render a .tmx tile map format, the main export tile format of the tile editor Tiled.

Tiled Site

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!