• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AndyArmstrong

[web] PHP / Flash / Javascript Avatar creator

This topic is 2373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys - I am wanting a PHP / Flash / javascript avatar creator for my site. i want it to be able to create me an avatar image + let me customise specific things like background colour etc so my users can each create their very own avatars.

Does something like this already exist?

I found this but it seems a little unconfigurable- http://scripts.ringsworld.com/image-handling/avatar-maker1.5/ - i want each persons avatar to look fairly different + people customize specific aspects of them which i am fairly sure this wont let you do- but I dont want to reinvent the wheel if there is already something like this out there.

Basically kinda want a mii creator written for the web...that I can use on my own site.

Does anybody know of anything + can they point me to it or give me some ideas.

Cheers

Advertisement
If you're making your own, I suggest using SVG to display the avatar. Modern browsers have pretty good support for SVG in HTML, it's easy to build an image from basic components and style and colour is easy to change using Javascript. You can either store image configuration details and build it dynamically or cache it as an svg file and load using the img tag. It also eliminates the need for Flash.

Yeah thats a good idea.

But I dont want to make my own, because I am not great at drawing / coding that kinda stuff. There must be a user created library for something like this out there - I just have not found it!

I am a member of a browser-based MMO (aka "PBBG") creation community, and it just so happens someone on there brought a tutorial to our attention that actually covers making custom avatars. I have not used it myself, so I don't know how well it works in practice, but it looks short, sweet and too the point. Anyway, here it is, and hope it helps:

Create Custom Avatars with PHP

I might have what you want.

Take a look at http://www.quak.co.u...avatar-creator.

It allows you to use your own graphics including characters, accessories and backgrounds and it lets you save the avatar to a database and export as a PNG. When exporting you can set the size of the crop area and you can also set the scale which means it can generate avatars for pretty much any purpose.

If it is indeed what you're after, feel free to send me a PM.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!