• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

opinions needed - using Silverlight

This topic is 2351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How about using Microsoft Silverlight as a view port for applications instead of using OpenGL or DirectX? So far I can think of it as using flash as an extended view port for an application.

Advertisement
In my opinion Silverlight is on its way out because of HTML 5 which does the exact same thing. Microsoft had to make a decision last year as to whether they are going to do their own thing again in IE (and not follow the web standard) or not make that mistake again and follow it and use HTML5 instead of Silverlight. They announced at the deadline that IE 9 will be HTML5 compliant (as are all modern browsers). Therefore, since HTML5 and Silverlight essentially do the same thing I strongly believe Microsoft is going to discontinue their Silverlight product fairly shortly. In all reality who wants to support 2 things that do the exact same thing.

Again this is in my opinion.
Not sure if it answers your question specifically but it is an opinion of Silverlight.

Gonna have to agree with the above. I think SilverLight is gonna get taken out back and given the Old Yeller treatment soon...

How about using Microsoft Silverlight as a view port for applications instead of using OpenGL or DirectX? So far I can think of it as using flash as an extended view port for an application.

> Perfect. I think that HTML 5 is very good for building from, but I still need that low level love so I am also looking at using cygwin's GCC compiler and Adobe alchemy instead. It is cheaper and it looks like it may do the job for what I want. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement