• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CTRL_ALT_DELETE

What is wrong with this file i/o code?

This topic is 6088 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

include "levels.h" extern HWND window_handle; void levels::eatline() { //eat the spaces at the end of the line char ch; ch = m_fin.get(); while(ch != ''\n'') { ch = m_fin.get(); } } levels::levels(char* str) { bOK = TRUE; //open the level file m_fin.open(str, ios::in); //if the file does not open, bail out if(!m_fin.is_open()) { bOK = FALSE; DestroyWindow(window_handle); return; } for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++) { for(int n = 0; n < 10; n++) level[n] = m_fin.get(); eatline(); } m_fin.close(); } This code feeds text data from a file into a 2d array that I use in my game to place the enemies in my Galaxian code ( a sorrt of primative level editor). m_fin is created earlier in the code, and is associated with a file named levelx.txt, where x is the number of the level. The problem is, if the game tries to load a level file that I have not yet created, such as level6.txt, it freezes. Shouldn''t this code bail it out if the file does not exist? if(!m_fin.is_open()) { bOK = FALSE; DestroyWindow(window_handle); return; } Thanks, Austin

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
fin.open(filename, ios::in|ios::nocreate);

this will cause the fin.is_open() function to return false if the filename does not exist, otherwise, just using ios::in assumes that if the filename does not exist then you want to create a new file.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!