• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darcmagik

First 3D game ideas

This topic is 2613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok everybody I need some advice I've been working my way through the book Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX10, and I believe I'm grasping everything that I'm reading as well as one can be expected on your first endeavor into 3D Game programming. Anyways I've been going through the chapters and at the end of each chapter I try to do all of the exercises trying to make sure I understand how to do not only what is discussed but being able to think outside of the examples and come up with techniques of my own. I just finished chapter 9 Stencil Buffer and am moving on to the chapter on the Geometry Shader and feel like I should be comfortable enough to develop a basic 3D game or something at this point and I guess I'm looking for some ideas from people on what to do????? I have some ideas for games that I eventually want to make but most of them are more advanced than my skills currently are and I don't want to overwhelm my self with more topics than I'm already trying to wrap my head around.

So the big question is what do I work on?

Advertisement
Fancy graphics and fancy physics do garantee a fun game (physics can be fun though).

Do some graphics demos to push/trial your new knowledge.
Or think of some 3d game you like and try to replicate it.

I don't understand why you can't start coding one of your game ideas. You are not going to have top end graphics ready early on in development anyways. Nor should you require it.

I guess the only reason why I say I can't start one of my ideas is that I know there are still things I need to learn about game programming in order to complete one of my dream projects and I just didn't want to get over whelmed by all the details.

But I guess maybe the best way to do all of this is to just jump in head first and make something....

I should clarify I'm mainly looking for small project ideas to get me started that I eventually can build on and turn into something big. Aka I want something challenging to what I have learned a stepping stone type of 3D project that I can use to solidify my knowledge and to get my skills to grow.

have you ever built any 2d games? if not, do that.

3d games aren't really that much harder.

I built a 2d scrolling shooter (bullet hell) as my first game.

One thing to realise. build lots of small crap at the start. who cares if they suck. it is the experience you gain from making them that will make your big game idea work and come out looking somewhat polished.
It's better to do some super small endeavours to just get used to the smaller parts of the bigger game.

Want a project?
2d or 3d.. a game still needs a game loop/engine loop that produced frame time
build the foundation of your game.. make the game loop, handle input somehow (doesn't have to be an OMFG perfect implementation either)
once you have the loop, get a triangle rendered on screen.
change the colors at the vertices of the triangle
make the triangle rotate
add more triangles
write a system to control them (foundation of a particle system)

something
anything
small.

I've done a couple small 2D games in directX 9 but never in 10. Not even sure how to setup 10 in 2D aka orthagonal camera. Maybe I should take a step back to 2D I guess.

Well, I don't have much experience in regards to 3D programming seeing how I'm still at the 2D stage of learning :P but if you wanted game ideas I'll post a couple which I believe are doable with what you've described yourself as being able to do.

1. A marble roller game set inside of a Cube. The maze goes around the outside and the goal is to get the marble to the end point. You can control the marble by tilting the cube by 90 degrees at a time (mainly to avoid the complex physics that I don't even want to think about). This could be a challenging yet doable project. (I think)

2. A top down minecraft style game where you are given many block shapes and get to build levels. Maybe if you develop a good collision engine you could even play in them. I have no clue how hard this would be to do.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it. And you could always try making 3-D version of 2-D games you play in real life, such as 3D air hockey or a basketball shooting simulator. Good luck learning more!

Well, I don't have much experience in regards to 3D programming seeing how I'm still at the 2D stage of learning :P but if you wanted game ideas I'll post a couple which I believe are doable with what you've described yourself as being able to do.

1. A marble roller game set inside of a Cube. The maze goes around the outside and the goal is to get the marble to the end point. You can control the marble by tilting the cube by 90 degrees at a time (mainly to avoid the complex physics that I don't even want to think about). This could be a challenging yet doable project. (I think)

2. A top down minecraft style game where you are given many block shapes and get to build levels. Maybe if you develop a good collision engine you could even play in them. I have no clue how hard this would be to do.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it. And you could always try making 3-D version of 2-D games you play in real life, such as 3D air hockey or a basketball shooting simulator. Good luck learning more!

A top down shooter would also be pretty cool. You can give it an RTS style 3d camera, but the big advantage is that the physics and gameplay logic are still 2d - this simplifies certain things.

Ok well here is a different approach to this question suppose I take a step back and work on my 2D game development which I am not opposed to doing the problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to do so in DirectX 10. Now I know there are tons of libraries out there I could use for 2D game development, or I could go back to DirectX 9 but I don't want to do that again. I have jumped around from tech to tech and from language to language in the past and this time I have decided to stick to DirectX 10 and learn everything I can about it. So I need help with the 2D aspect of it I understand how to do most of it in DirectX 9 but a lot of the functionality that DirectX 9 had for 2D appears to be gone. So I guess I'm stuck because all reference material I can find on DirectX 10 all talks about 3D. So please a little reference material would be much appreciated, I'm not asking for anybody to hold my hand or to tell me everything I just need something to help me get started....

Ok well here is a different approach to this question suppose I take a step back and work on my 2D game development which I am not opposed to doing the problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to do so in DirectX 10. Now I know there are tons of libraries out there I could use for 2D game development, or I could go back to DirectX 9 but I don't want to do that again. I have jumped around from tech to tech and from language to language in the past and this time I have decided to stick to DirectX 10 and learn everything I can about it. So I need help with the 2D aspect of it I understand how to do most of it in DirectX 9 but a lot of the functionality that DirectX 9 had for 2D appears to be gone. So I guess I'm stuck because all reference material I can find on DirectX 10 all talks about 3D. So please a little reference material would be much appreciated, I'm not asking for anybody to hold my hand or to tell me everything I just need something to help me get started....

Why DX10? In my opinion either go to DX11 or stay at DX9. DX10 was just a transitional phase.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!