Computer science degree in MIT? Will I get inside the game industry?

Started by
15 comments, last by ajaytemp_55190 12 years, 6 months ago

Enh. If all your friends were good enough to get into MIT/CMU/Stanford in the first place they're more likely to be employed or well placed in business. If it's worth the added headache/tuition is debatable, but certainly you have far better networking opportunities as the 50th percentile at an exceptional school than being the shining star of ITT.

No doubt; I guess what I'm getting at is that the onus is still on the individual students to be good at what they do. Yes, you're more likely to find good people at good schools, and there is value in that networking. But just having access to those contacts is not going to mysteriously boost your odds of landing a job. You still have to leverage them - and your own skill set, more importantly - to get in. And it's not like you can't develop contacts with people who went to other schools; you get a small leg up by seeding your social network with some of those people, but in the grand scope of things, I'd rather know people from 20 different schools than 20 people from MIT.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement

No doubt; I guess what I'm getting at is that the onus is still on the individual students to be good at what they do.

Ah yes, quite true.

However, Argentina is not particularly well known in the video-game industry. It absolutely will be necessary for you to get out of there. Most universities will do, but if you can get MIT then I say go for it, but keep in mind that a less-demanding school can actually be better as long as you know how to use your time. That is, a 4-hour-per-day college is more helpful than a full-day MIT course if you can use your spare time to make demos, build your portfolio, and hone your skills.
And remember to make contacts while you are there.

L. Spiro

I don't remember telling anyone I was from Argentina, but I live in America; sadly in MIami, where I can't find one game company...
I'm from Argentina and there's less than 10 that students in Argentina in MIT, and they would like to get more diverse students.

I don't remember telling anyone I was from Argentina, but I live in America; sadly in MIami, where I can't find one game company...

If there are no game companies where you live, you will have to move. But you won't have to live in a game city until after graduation.
To look up game hotbeds, you can use gamedevmap and gameindustrymap. (You can find links to both sites in this forum's FAQs, see FAQs link atop this page.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Nothing out of many high ranked schools for last 25 years. what a joke.
I've given this advice before, but I'll give it again. I still think it's better to go to a cheaper school and spend the tuition difference going to networking/career development events. Going to a good state school will give you a pretty solid education, and you'll save money that will allow you to attend GDC (maybe even two of them per year). That will help you network as good as anyone provided you aren't annoying, and you'll also learn some great stuff that won't even be in text books for another 2 years.

Nothing out of many high ranked schools for last 25 years. what a joke.

Triangle offense is newer than close to most computer graphics theory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement